Copper absorption issues

Everingrace
on 9/8/23 9:06 pm

Thanks for your reply Holdenwhat. I am taking 40 mg of copper daily (separately from zinc) and still it doesn't go up. One doctor tried to get me infusions, but the pharmacist said they didn't have it. Go figure. I did get an iron infusion, and I am now taking desiccated liver. I also started on a ketogenic diet last month. I hope these things will make a difference. I'll see in my next labs.

SharonG
on 9/11/23 11:07 am - Arlington, VA

Hi there, I had the DS in March, 2003. I did have issues with low copper for some time and supplemented for years with Biotech Pharmacal's 5 mg copper and just barely kept my levels average. They stopped making the 5 mg, so I switched to one of their 1.5 mg and added 4 mg of Ecological Formulas Pro-Copper Ligand, which is supposed to be a better form of copper. This combination was so good that I ended up with too much copper, which is also dangerous (195 ug/dl; high end of normal is 158 ug/dl)! I have not supplemented for 18 months now and am well back into normal levels.

You may want to try the Ecological Formulas Pro-Copper Ligand. It was what really made a difference with absorption, but be sure to monitor!

Everingrace
on 9/11/23 11:31 am

Thank you Sharon. I will give that a try. I currently take 40 mg a day, but it's not helping. Maybe it's not a good supplement. Thanks for your response ð?' ?

Everingrace
on 9/11/23 11:46 am

Hi Sharon. I looked for the copper that you suggested, but can't find it. Would you tell me where you got it from? Raphaela

SharonG
on 9/11/23 12:27 pm, edited 9/11/23 5:27 am - Arlington, VA

Well, shoot, I usually get it off of Amazon, but when I just looked to give you the link, I noticed it is out of stock.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TVEYYK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b _search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Everingrace
on 9/11/23 4:41 pm

Thanks for the reply Sharon. I'm thinking maybe only medical professionals can get it now. I don't know whether I can find a doctor who would do that, but I'll try-Raphaela

Susan M.
on 9/17/23 11:04 am - Sun City, CA

Hello...I just saw your post. I had a Distal RNY 12/6/2001. I too was diagnosed with osteoporosis a few years after surgery, and no baseline prior to surgery. Due to my procedure being very similar to DS, we face many absorption issues. I get iron infusions every couple years, my Vit. D is always

MOAKEN
on 9/18/23 9:23 am
RNY on 12/14/18

What are the effects with this lack of Cooper?

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 678 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views