8.5 month photo/update

Deluzy
on 9/1/06 8:30 am - CA
I've finally posted a new pic to my blog today. (I skipped month 7 and overshot month 8 -- hence 8.5! )  I think I'm in the minority:  while I enjoy looking at regularly updated progress photos -- particularly of those people who take them like clockwork and are able to post composite shots from start to present -- I never did focus on photos when I was investigating surgery, and I've never been a regular photo-taker in the first place. So I'm kind of a slacker in that department. I've dropped 7 pounds since the 8-month mark and still have two weeks to go until month 9, so that's good (I lost only 2 pounds last month, but sizes continue to drop:  I'm now officially out of plus sizes, past most XLs in most regular stores, and into regular larges and size 14s.  Um, I don't think I've seen those days since I was about 12. (I'm 45.)  It's a little disorienting, I have to say, but ultimately I'm enjoying it.  Still in Lane Brayant Ciacique cleavage-enhancing bras, though:  along with Sharon, I'm singularly poorly endowed in the breast department, and these are the only bras I've discovered that camouflage that lack so well that I now actually look as if I have an hourglass figure these days! (Uh, well, clothed, anyway! ) Work continues to be totally overwhelming.  In a good way (most of you know that I started as a tenure-track assistant professor  a couple of weeks ago), but still ... it leaves me with very little time to keep up with the boards which I regret.  I certainly think of you all often enough, even when I'm not posting! Best get back to work.

Alison 
Lurking far more, posting far less -- only because of work demands!

You can friend me on Facebook: Alison McKee, same avatar photo
280/189/165
Living (gratefully!) near goal @ 4.5 years out
Finally incorporating regular exercise into my life ;)

w8'n no more
on 9/1/06 9:04 am - middle of, IL
WOW  I mean really, seriously WOW!  I got to your blog, and started reading and couldn't stop.   You are a wonderful writer.   I've always considered you the heroine because you fought and WON the insurance battle.  I came here, watched you fight, had my surgery, and felt a tad quilty that I could just afford to bypass the system.   Your blog should be a must read for all the preops.
Kathy
sw/cw/gw
269/136/141
Surgery Date 10/21/05  Dr. Anthone
Aspire to Inspire Before You Expire!
Deluzy
on 9/1/06 12:30 pm - CA
Thanks, Kathy. Don't feel guilty.  I fought the battle because I had to, not because I wanted to.  Since I had to, I hope it paved the way for other DSers.  Time will tell.

Alison 

280/189/165

Stacie S.
on 9/1/06 9:43 am - Spring Hill, FL
You look great!  I really enjoyed reading about your shopping trip too! 
Courage does not always roar.  Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Evelyn Leonardo B.
on 9/1/06 10:02 am - New York, NY
Wow!!! I'm just speechless!!!!
WHEN YOU'RE DOWN TO NOTHING, GOD IS UP TO SOMETHING!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/06 12:20 pm - League City, TX

I just read your amazing profile.  However, I have to ask about the story about the bariatric nurse who had DS and nearly died because she wasn't taking calcium.  I am 8 weeks out and my Dr has not started me on calcium pills yet.  This is making me wonder if I should start on my own!

Deluzy
on 9/1/06 12:29 pm, edited 9/1/06 12:32 pm - CA
Call your bariatric nurse or surgeon and follow their recommendations.  The person I was referring to had gone years without supplementing her calcium! Not to worry, but do follow up!

Alison 

280/189/165

Valerie G.
on 9/1/06 12:36 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
Wow!  Look at that neck and collarabone on you.  Your first pre op pics had no neck at all.  You're looking fantastic!
Julie R.
on 9/1/06 1:09 pm - Ludington, MI
Congrats  you look just great.  Almost to the century mark, eh?  Glad you are doing well in the new job too. Julie
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 723 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1027 views