Batwingsman’s Posts

Batwingsman
on 10/3/10 4:07 am
Topic: RE: Cold/Flu Meds & The "Big D"?
Ahh  good idea .. I guess they're both so "mediciney-tasting" I didn't even think about them containing good old sugar ..    I'll see about a sugar-free version ..   thanks .. 

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

Batwingsman
on 10/3/10 4:00 am, edited 10/3/10 4:01 am
Topic: RE: Gag me with a pitchfork. Please tell me the Protein Shakes Get Better
lol @ "sweet flavored vomit"  ..

Keep in mind that your tastes will ikely radically change during those first few months after surgery, which is very common in post-ops  ..  So that same shake may end up tasting like Mana to you then ..  (or worse, it's a coin toss) ..  

One thing that I found makes the shake drinks more palatable is to get them as cold as possible, so if you sampled it at a warmer temp it may not have tasted as good .. 

I'm still a big fan of Pure Protein drinks and bars and eat them daily ..  They have a very good taste (and texture to the bars) and about 20 grams of protein for each one, with very low carbs ..   They do contain sugar alcohols though, so you can't be "sensitive" to them ..   You can get them at Target and Wal-Mart for about $6 for 4 drinks or 6 bars .. 

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

Batwingsman
on 10/3/10 3:50 am
Topic: RE: Met a DSer for the first time today!!
 < hijack >

Hi Larissa ..  I guess I've been away from the DS forum a bit long ..  I didn't know Dr. Provost was doing the DS now ..  Were you one of his first?  How many has he done?   Is he doing them more often than Dr. Stewart now, or about the same?      I might look into having him handle my follow-up instead of Dr. S., since Dr. S. seems to be a bit more difficult to get in to see these days .. 

btw, our N. TX DSers group has just been a bust of late ..    Our last meeting was a few months ago and only 4 or 5 of us showed up for that one  ..  I just checked with our leader and we won't be having an October meeting due to a scheduling conflict she has, but she is going to try to have one in November that doesn't conflict with everyone's Tday holiday plans.   I'll post something here about it when I know more ..  You (and anyone else interested) are always welcome at our group meetings ..  

Batwingsman
on 10/3/10 3:43 am
 < hijack >

Hi Julie ..   ltns!    How has your weight loss been going?  

Batwingsman
on 10/3/10 3:40 am
 Curious as to who their surgeon was ...

Do we even have an "approved" DS surgeon in FL anymore, btw, since that one surgeon (I forgot his name) moved out of the state some time back?   

Batwingsman
on 10/3/10 3:22 am, edited 10/3/10 3:24 am
Topic: RE: My take on the DS
 Good post, Dana ..  I agree with so much of what you said, and it's frank talk about the DS, not all "roses & rainbows", which we need more often on here, IMHO, to give a degree of balance to the whole picture ..  

I have to confess that I've been slacking off the last few weeks on my vitamin/minerals for the first time in my post-op 4 years ..  I guess in the back of my mind I'm reasoning that, with this weight regain (50 lbs. now), my body must also be absorbing those elements more than it did before, so there is less a need for the supps. now ..  I know that thinking is wrong, though, and just have to kick myself in the butt and get back on the bandwagon with them ..  

Batwingsman
on 10/3/10 3:17 am
Topic: RE: Can't stop losing - Help
  low FAT is the "DS way of life"???         What have they been smoking?  

Batwingsman
on 10/3/10 3:15 am
Topic: RE: Cold/Flu Meds & The "Big D"?

A few days ago I came down with a bad cold/virus thing ..  

I've been taking Dayquil and Nyquil for the symptoms, but have been having a horrible problem with diarrhea ..  I can't tell whether the problem is the meds or the virus itself, but I suspect it's more likely the meds, since I have had bugs before since surgery but not had that result (I didn't do the Dayquil/Nyquil either then) ..  

Has anyone had any problems with these meds causing d.?    Anyone have suggestions as to alternative cold/flu medicines to take to avoid it? 

Batwingsman
on 9/16/10 8:30 pm
Topic: RE: First ever DS in Dallas, TX coming soon. . .
   On that note (the billboards), I remember a Dallas surgeon (not Dr. S., btw) mentioning during a local T.V. news show a year or two ago how Dallas has more WLSes per capita than any other city in the U.S.            Makes sense when you are out and about and see how big Dallasites are these days ..  

Batwingsman
on 9/16/10 8:25 pm, edited 9/16/10 8:38 pm
Topic: RE: First ever DS in Dallas, TX coming soon. . .
 Dr. S. has never done the surgery before in the Metroplex?   I thought he had ...   

Hopefully the television program will emphasize the differences between DS and other types of WLS, and won't just refer to it generically as a "bypass" or some such  ...  I remember sometime back how disappointing it was for many of us when that happened with another taped DS that was featured on one of those weight-loss shows ..       Is Dr. S. going to have some say-so in how the program is presented? 

btw, your wife's name is "Rags"  ???    

Batwingsman
on 9/12/10 4:56 am, edited 9/12/10 4:57 am
Topic: RE: Paging folks to the main board...
Well, that EWL % comparison chart you posted I admit looks kinda confusing (and discouraging) ..    It shows the 4-6 year out retention/regain levels at around the same figures for RNY and DS ..  and even the long term 6+ year figures at being about the same for "banded" RNY and DS ..       

Where did you get that chart and how old are the figures?       I wonder if there was some "bias" in its preparation .. 

Batwingsman
on 9/12/10 4:39 am
Topic: RE: gallbladder removal with DS?
 < hijack >

Geez John ..  I just noticed, you're 50 lbs. UNDER goal weight???     

Is everything going O.K. with you? 

Batwingsman
on 9/12/10 4:37 am
Topic: RE: gallbladder removal with DS?
I hadn't heard about reasons #2 and #3.   Hmmmmm   

That being said, my surgeon ALWAYS removes the gallbladder.  He said the incidence of gallbladder trouble in post-ops from the major, rapid weight loss makes it prudent, esp. since it can be easily removed with just a few snips while still in there for the DS .. 

Batwingsman
on 9/12/10 4:32 am
Topic: RE: New Research: VSG high failure rate...
Of course we have to cal count ..   Give it a few years out w/o doing it, and you'll see what happens, unfortunately .. 

Batwingsman
on 9/9/10 1:05 am
Topic: RE: How About "Gummys"?
 No, I hadn't heard about these other forms ..  Glad someone found a solution to the fish oil problem for us  ..  Thanks for the info.   

Batwingsman
on 9/8/10 5:39 pm
Topic: RE: Pork chop recipe
  Sounds good, Mousie ..  

I wish Cracker Barrell would adopt a recipe like that one, btw ..    I ate dinner there Monday and ordered their Monday "fried pork chop" special ..   Unfortunately, the 2 chops came VERY heavily breaded, pretty much similar to chicken-fried steak ..    

Batwingsman
on 9/8/10 5:36 pm, edited 9/9/10 1:06 am
Topic: RE: How About "Gummys"?
 I was at Target the other day and I noticed they had a sale display up of omega/fish oil enzymes in the form of chewable gummies, rather than the usual oil suspension caps they come in .. 

Would these finally be in a form that we can absorb, or are gummys pretty much malabsorbed by us, too?   

Batwingsman
on 9/8/10 5:33 pm
Topic: RE: what is making me fart?
  < hijack >

dang, Jules ..  you look like a high-fashion model now ..         Great job!  

Batwingsman
on 8/29/10 1:14 pm
Topic: RE: Stomaphyx For A Sleeve Revision?
 Hi Karen . .  ltns!   

I'm hanging in there ..  My four-year surgiversary was earlier this month, and I guess I'm in a bad way when I take stock of things as they stand today.  They certainly are not like things were @ 2 years or so out.  I'm up to 305-309 lbs. or so ..  It just seems like my hunger is out of control anymore (so much for "grehlin sp. - levels") and I'm able to eat everything in sight again ..  It's horrible seeing all those little WOWs along the way slowly becoming "undone" on the way back up, like not being able to walk as far as I could, buying bigger clothes, and having a hard time bending down to put my shoes on.      At least my diabetes is still completely resolved (e.g. 4.8 A1cs) and I still have the fantastic blood lipid levels (e.g. under 100) that the DS has given me.  (At least I'll be the healthiest S.S.O. person around in a few more years, looks like ..  )

How are you doing?  Are you still maintaining goal?  I'm so proud of you, if so ..   and same for Lori Black ..  she has really managed to grab the bull by the horns early ..  I wish I had that intestinal fortitude ..   

Take care, and thanks for saying hi ..  !  

Batwingsman
on 8/29/10 1:04 pm
I'm going to try to get more details on this on the VSG and Revision forums ..  I had wondered that as well (the stoma thing) ..  Perhaps the surgeon goes in and fires the plastic "staples" in from inside the sleeve to somehow pull it tighter in some respect? 

We have had a couple of DSers, btw, who have had bands put over their sleeves ..  I think one was "Amplebeauty" (anyone hear from her anymore, btw?  ) who was an RNY revision and extremely high BMI ..  Her surgeon apparently felt it was essential to her being able to get down to a normal BMI ..

Batwingsman
on 8/29/10 4:26 am
Topic: RE: Faith's (DoodlesNJ) obituary
 I wondered too ..  The obit. mentions multiple sclerosis, so I wonder if that contributed to her passing ..        She was only in her early 40s ...  so sad ..  

Batwingsman
on 8/29/10 4:24 am
I was reading a post earlier by a VSGer that is going to have Stomaphyx to tighten their stretched-out sleeve back down.   I didn't know Stomaphyx (and presumably the Rose Procedure as well) could be used to do that, but he mentioned in his post that many VSGers have had it done, resulting in significant additional EWL %.    

I'm wondering if any DSers here have had the procedure done, after significant weight regain or not reaching near goal?   This alternative (vs. traditional sleeve re-sizing surgery) hasn't come up on the Revision of DS Yahoo forum ..   

Batwingsman
on 8/4/10 2:49 pm
Topic: RE: Help with revision decision-Dr. Keshishian/Dr. Foote
I would recommend the DS route of the two, but be sure that Dr. K. agrees to make your "sleeve" (or whatever it will be after the revision) as small as possible (e.g. less than 2 oz.) and gives (or keeps?) you a CC of at least 100-150 cms.  This seems to be the trend with DS surgeons nowadays  --maximizing intake restriction + leaving enough CC to minimize vit./min. malabsorption problems as much as possible and yet short enough to maintain the weight loss. 

Best of luck on whatever you decide to do .. 

Batwingsman
on 7/31/10 1:53 pm
Topic: RE: Please welcome my cousin to the DS board!
 Be sure and check us out on the Men's Forum, too ..  

Batwingsman
on 7/31/10 1:50 pm
Topic: RE: do guys hormone dump too?
Post-Op Depression is common with us ... due to the hormonal changes ..  

You might ask about  this on the Men's Forum, too .. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 838 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1093 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 368 views