***I've been hearing some disturbing things***

Born Swimmer
on 3/2/07 3:01 am - Sunny, FL
I don't usually go to www.lapbandtalk.com because of the comments I read there.  Some people talk about how they hate their band, but for a reason that baffles me.  They say that they have to keep a spit cup in their car or with them at all times because whenever they eat, they vomit.   Someone PM'd me at OH.com and said she knew 2 people that are essentially bulemic (at goal, but bulemic) because they don't know how to work with their band and have the willpower to avoid their intolerances (which vary with people... I can eat squishy bread while many of you can't).  They don't know enough to change their behavior or loosen their band!  I'm not talking about newbies here... people years out are doing this.  There is a learning curve for sure.  If it happens here and there after your first few fills, figure out the cause and work with your band.  How horrible would it be to vomit all the time!  It really takes some thinking and learning how to eat with the band.  They just wanted it to be autopilot or something.  it was pretty easy for me to adjust to it, which is why maybe I'm so shocked by those posters at the other support site.  Am I wrong here?  Are you guys dealing with that too?  I can't believe how many of them have that problem (of course on the complication page, but there are many of them!)  Now, I'm not going to lie... I have had to spit things out before, especially after a fill that I'm not accustomed to yet... but to do it so often to keep a cup nearby or in the car...?  Do you guys do that too?

~AlyssaLips 2Band to Bypass (Band May 2005 --RNY July 2008)        

"Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." ~Yoda

(What is Interstitial Cystitis)

Evolution of Dance :)

Meet my pouch... The Gremlin:
Go to fullsize imageImage Preview

SonjaS
on 3/2/07 3:08 am - Los Angeles, CA
I'm not banded yet but that visual is pretty GROSS!!
LuciousLA & Babylapband
on 3/2/07 3:09 am - Greenbelt, MD
Lap Band on 02/13/06 with
robyn J.
on 3/2/07 3:14 am - Canada
Hi Alyssa I dont keep a spit cup with me.  I PB'd probably 3x but I believe that was my own stupidity.  I took to big of a bite, or I didnt chew chew chew.  Sounds like they aren't using the band rules?LOL Robyn

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/07 3:14 am - Richmond, KY
I've not been banded yet, but I can say that I'm not surprised that there are a lot of people that are either having a lot of complications or are noncompliant at a support group.  Just like with any other review process, the people that are most likely to look for support or make a review of something are the people that have had problems.  And really, what's the point of a support group if it is only for the people who are doing well?  People that are doing wonderfully generally don't need to talk to other people that are going through the same things. There are always people that don't do what they are supposed to do.  My uncle had a triple bypass a couple of years ago.  He was supposed to cut out sugary drinks, beer, and junk food after the surgery.  What does he do now?  You never see him without a can of Bud, and he loves his junk food.  Are the majority of people like that?  I don't think so, you just see more of them in support groups, because those are the kinds of people that really seek the support. 
Phyllis C.
on 3/2/07 3:15 am

This sounds to me like these are people who know this is not the way it is supposed to be, but have chosen this route.  You can only help people who want to help themselves.  I have had my share of problems, but they have lessened because I am trying to follow the rules.  I don't eat in the car.  That was the first bad habit to go.

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

Suzanne M.
on 3/2/07 3:15 am - TX

Nope.   The Dr said not to do that, so I don't.  I'd imagine if I ate too much or gulped too much all at once, I'd probably HAVE to spit up something, so I try not to go there.... it sounds far too painful and it's dangerous.   I want my band sitting in there all snug and happy.

Kimberly *******
on 3/2/07 3:26 am - The Boonies of...., ME
You know, before I started on this board, I presumed that everyone pb'd OFTEN.  The only two women I knew around here that had it done, pb'd all the time.  THEY kept a spit cup in their car.  I was NOT looking forward to any of that, but was deperate to try anything to lose weight and felt that if I was truely careful and followed the rules it wouldn't happen to me....and it hasn't, but only because of all of the veterans on this board saying that it is NOT normal and in fact is dangerous.  I took a very good friend of mine to my support group meeting to ask some questions about LapBand and a woman whom I'd never seen before was there.  She proceeded to tell us how she was a year out and had lost over 100 lbs, and the only thing she can eat without pbing is chilli!  The group leader NEVER said anything about how horrible that was..she was all about congratulating her!  My friend is dead-set against the band now.  It all boils down to educating yourself.   Wow, am I long-winded today.....sorry.
Kimberly  

SandyR
on 3/2/07 3:15 pm - Portland, OR
Very excellent post!! I hope this helps people understand why I don't automatically jump in and say "CONGRATULATIONS" when someone posts "I have lost 90 # in 6 months!!" . Most other people DO, but  I know from sad experience that many who lose unusually fast are ignoring band rules and safety issues. So i ask if they are losing SAFELY., and may mention some Band rules. I'd rather have people irked at me, than have them crying from a serious problem or lost band later. Sandy r   

DISCLAIMER:  Any suggestions or comments are not intended as medical advice, but only as general information. Please always contact your own surgeon or his staff for any specific problems or concerns you are having. Although I have many years as a medical professional and band educator,  I offer suggestions here only  as an experienced Bandster. 
cgatens
on 3/2/07 10:11 pm - Bricktown, NJ
You're scaring me Sandy, I know your statement was a blanke  statement but I am one of those folks who have lost an extreme amount of weight in a short period of time- I was banded on November 10 and am down 82 pounds. (I started at 370 and am 288) Since 30 days out I have exercised at least 4 times a week, I do watch my diet religiously,  I try (and  I do fail at time) to get in my water, eat slower and smaller meals, As I said to my surgeon I AM GOING TO BE A SUCCESS, I did not go to through all I did to get this surgery to loose only 50% of my excess weight. I was just saying to someone last night at my support meeting, we all know how to loose weight, and If I wanted to loose 20 pounds in 2 weeks I could do it, but would it be easy and would it be safe----hell no! My biggest fear is that one day I wake up and I have gained a chunk of weight- That scares me so much- I know you have more knowledge then most if not all on this board, but I am trying with every bone in my body to follow all the rules and be smart about my weight loss, and I pray I do not fall into the category of folks who are ignoring the band or safety rules or are under the impression that I have been unsafe.  I have lost weight due to the fact that I never have cheated on the meal plan and am being proactive on all the tools that get me closer to my goals, Thanks!! :) Chris

Banded on November 10 2006
60 Days Pre Op 418
Day of Surgery 370
370 / 246  / 190
Pre / Now / Goal

Most Active