2 Weeks Until Surgery - NERVOUS

Stacy T.
on 11/13/08 5:17 am
I have two weeks until surgery and I am getting more and more nervous.

Tomorrow I have all my pre-op testing (chest x-ray, EKG, blood work). My dad is going with me which will probably calm my nerves a little (hopefully).

Monday I have my Pre-op appointment with my surgeon and then Monday 24th is my surgery.

I am not so much scared of the surgery itself anymore. After talking with my surgeon, I am very comfortable with him and know he will take good care of me.  It is more AFTER the surgery that I am scared about. I really want to do this and change my life, but I am so scared I am going to eff it all up. I know the only way to really fail at this is to not do what you should.  I guess at my education class this week I saw the size of food I will be able to eat once I am healed(3 medicine cups).  My husband tells me not to worry because that is what i SHOULD be eating.  When I really think about it, I already eat pretty healthily so it will just be the amount that will be cut back.

I don't know...I know I am rambling. I do have therapy tonight so hopefully I can get these thoughts straight.
purplecloth
on 11/13/08 5:28 am - UK
Hello Stacy,

I could have just written that.

I meet my surgeon next Wednesday then my surgery is 2 weeks afterwards.

The actual surgey is not bothering me at all. I know th surgery is short, and I usually heal quite quickly. I'm fit and healthy (i just weigh twice what I should)

But I am scared too. I am SO scared that when it comes to it, I will mess it up as well. I have a history of getting about 4/5 months down the line, realising I'm making it work and freak out and sabotage myself.

I know I won't be able to eat huge amounts of food, so hopefully I will be able to deal with it when it comes. That the results will speak for themselves and I won't want to sabotage.

Personally, for me, my mantra for the last week has been 'think of this time next year, this time next year, this time next year'

In one year, if you lose the average of 1-2lbs a week, that is nearly 80 pounds! and that is a LOT!

You can do this, and so can I!

I'm a Christian, so the other thing that has been keeping me going is a line in the Bible which says 'Everything is possible, through him who gives me strength'
AmyKing
on 11/13/08 6:09 am - Spring, TX
CONGRATS and you will be fine.  Just make sure you follow ALL the rules YOUR doctor gives you for post-op.  It is VERY important that you stay on liquids for the EXACT amount of time he tells you so that your stomach can heal and your band will be in perfect position.  Trust me, you will want to take just one teeny bite, but don't.  Not letting your stomach and band heal properly could mean a lot of problems down the road.  Not trying to scare you, but I'm sure you've seen the posts...."I think I screwed up..."  Just follow all the rules for the few weeks post op and then enjoy the RIDE!!!!!!  GOOD LUCK!!!!!

(I've changed my goal!!)

Tiff tells all
on 11/13/08 6:16 am - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19
Amy gave you some great advice there. Follow your docs rules and no one elses. They are all different which can be frustrating. But were all here so you can vent.

Happy thoughts and happy healing are coming your way!

Tiff

Current MD- Dr. Mikami, Honolulu Hawaii

Lapband 14cc AP Lg in 2008- slipped and removed 2016 -VSG July 21, 2016-dx Gerd

** RNY Revision 05/21/2019 **

"A few drops of hope can water and nourish our garden" - Jean M

henrywb
on 11/13/08 6:40 am - Pottstown, PA
I wrote earlier today that I was frightened about exactly the same things that you have written about.  People were helpful in response, as they were to you.  My response to myself is to  1) look at my cousin who has done so well, 2) remind myself that I can follow rigid rules, 3) tell myself how much I want to lose the weight and get off medications, 4) Find other things in my life to develop and focus on instead of my focus on food.

I'm sure there will be a great deal more for all of us to learn, but we'll do it together, I hope.

Port repaired 6/16/2010 weight that day 270
motorhomemama
on 11/13/08 10:19 am - Okotoks, Canada
My surgery is on the 19th too and I like what you are telling yourself.  I am starting to have the same feelings of Can I really do this????      YES I CAN!!

Thanks  Eydie
342/298/280175  highest / surgery  wtNov 19/08/ current/ goal
BJWood
on 11/13/08 9:02 am - Fort Worth, TX
I had my surgery yesterday and was released from the hospital this morning. I won't lie....I woke up in recovery in the worst pain EVER but once the nurses got my pain under control, I was much more comfortable. That took three shots of morphine and then started on the loratab. I got a shot of tordal (sp) during the night and a shot of demeral (sp) this morning. My pain medicine is supposed to be every four hours but I have not made it that long. On the other hand, the doctor said I had a hernia in my stomach that he stitched up and I think alot of my pain is from that and not so much from the lapband. He said my hernia was the second largest one he had ever seen. The  liquid diet has not bothered me. I had chicken broth and jello in the hospital and it tasted great. I had the same today. I am not really hungry...really thirsty though!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck and I wish you all the best!

Most Active