jjwbuster

BrownIdGirl2
on 6/2/13 9:45 am

So glad to hear everything went well it must be half the battle just being home!

How were you feeling the first day, where was it hurting?  Does it hurt when you try to drink?  How much can you drink and has it gotten better since day 1. 

Did you bring gas X strips and can we take them??

Sorry for all the questions.. I'm day 5 of boost, it's approaching fast.

jjwbuster
on 6/2/13 10:40 am - Saint John, Canada

After the surgery you will be glad to get some variety away from the boost. The cream soups and carnation breakfast are a nice change to the couple of weeks of boost. 

referral sent March 2009/ Approval signed March 2013/Surgery May 2013

HW: 404  Pre OP Liquid: 375   SW: 349   CW: 271

Lesley42
on 6/1/13 2:36 am - Canada

Im so happy for you and so glad everything went well... Now onto your new wonderful healthy life!! So three nights in seems to be the norm eh? I cant wait for my turn.. The only part of it that I wont like is being there alone...Im a 43 year old baby....lol 26 lbs post op.. thats amazing, your already well on your way... I hope you took before pictures!! I would love to see the before and afters from you and Eve.. Ive seen a few from other people on here and they are AMAZING!! All the best and safe travels home.. :)

Lesley42                        
jjwbuster
on 6/2/13 10:23 am - Saint John, Canada

I asked for my family to stay home and in all actuality it was a good idea. There wasn't much they could have done. The first day I wouldn't have been allowed visitors and I was so busy with tests and sleeping that they would have just sat there and watched me snore. I was in the CCU for my whole stay and the room is quite cramped (those poor nurses having to maneuver around the equipment and beds).

jjwbuster
on 6/2/13 10:20 am - Saint John, Canada

How were you feeling the first day, where was it hurting?

My pain was under my left breast. The pain was a deep pain and I couldn't take a deep breath. Almost like I couldn't expand my ribs. Some people says it feels like a heart attack.

Does it hurt when you try to drink? 

Drinking didn't really hurt at all. Cold drinks did cause discomfort as well as taking too big of a sip. I find I can only tolerate warm or room temperature drinks.

How much can you drink and has it gotten better since day 1. 

I am finding it difficult to get in the amount they want you to drink. The doctor almost didn't release me today because I am still not up to par for liquids. I am suppose to drink 10 cups of liquid and can only seem to get in 4-6. All I feel like I am doing is drinking. By the time I finished the "meal" then a liquid snack would come on a rotating basis. Also they gave me peach boost (gross) and strawberry ensure (gross). I just went to the fridge on the floor and got apple juice instead.

Did you bring gas X strips and can we take them??

I did bring the gas X and only took them once. Walking is the best thing for getting the gas moving.

BrownIdGirl2
on 6/3/13 9:21 am

Sorry for all the questions... and I THANK YOU very much for taking the time to answer them.

Were you feeling pretty nervous the upcoming days before surgery and the day of surgery?

I went to see the pre op nurse today and have to say I was pretty nervous!

I guess it's all normal as they told me.

I have a couple of more questions for you.

1- How long was the surgery?  I was told it is from 2 to 3 hours long?

2- Did  you feel like you wanted to throw up after you woke up?

3- Were you connected to an IV the hole time of your stay, reason I'm asking is if I need PJ's?

3- Now that you're home, what are you eating to get your protein while on liquids, would it be mostly protein shakes?

You must be anxious for the puree stage.. the taste of real food...

jjwbuster
on 6/3/13 10:24 am - Saint John, Canada

1- How long was the surgery?  I was told it is from 2 to 3 hours long?

I don't know how long the surgery was. I am not sure if the pre op nurse or someone else told me that it was about 1 hour long.

2- Did  you feel like you wanted to throw up after you woke up?

I did not have nausea however some people do.

3- Were you connected to an IV the hole time of your stay, reason I'm asking is if I need PJ's?

I was on IV until Saturday and then they removed it and left the port in until I was discharged. They have gowns but honestly I found them a PITA. They were actually too big. I took a couple of casual capris sets and wore those. You will be able to get them on and off with the IV just ask the nurse for some help.

3- Now that you're home, what are you eating to get your protein while on liquids, would it be mostly protein shakes?

I am having a hard time with this one. I spoke with Suzanne today and talked over the difficulty I am having. I have some ensure and carnation instant breakfast. I think tomorrow I will start adding some of my son's protein powder to my soup and milk. Suzanne also suggested adding skim milk powder to the milk as it makes the milk protein fortified because it is not mixed with water.

All in all I was nervous but really it was not bad at all. I thought there would be pain from the incisions but there wasn't. The pain is more inside like a pulled muscle. I think you will be surprised how "uneventful" it will be. How many more days now?

Eve_34
on 6/4/13 4:09 am - Canada
VSG on 05/23/13

The procedure took about 2 hours for me....  It was 1145 when I was taken to the OR and I woke up before I made it to the recovery room and. It was about 230... I was up in my room by 3....  

BrownIdGirl2
on 6/5/13 8:50 am

Thanks for the info.  That is not much time in the recovery room, by the time you get to your room, are you pretty much awake?

BrownIdGirl2
on 6/4/13 11:21 am

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, how are you now feeling?

Where do you get the protein powder?  I guess it would be easy to add it to any purred food.

Were you given an amount of protein to eat daily, or to aim for as you can eat more.

Today I finished my 7th boost day, no problems at all.  surgery date is June 12.. I am pretty stressed after seeing the pre op nurse.  I have a soon to be 6 year old son and hope all goes well.  I have lots of family support so that is not an issue.

I have to say today I am feeling really dry in my mouth, I am tying to drink more water.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1085 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1951 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1796 views
Facebook page
Raisin_girl · 5 replies · 1790 views