Mandatory Waiting Period

Karen M.
on 12/3/10 3:52 am - Mississauga, Canada
You're right, it is the reality there and terribly sad.  Not to mention the huge amounts of money that people are forced to borrow so that they can have surgery.  It's pathetic.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Jonathin
on 12/3/10 7:09 am - Ottawa, Canada

Oh I totally agree, Allie. It's totally to weed out people and make them give up and resort to self pay. Like has been said, it's all about the money, and not about the care. They wanted to reduce the number of people they had to pay for.. and what better excuse than a long drawn-out ordeal?

But.. I didn't post about the process as much as I posted these because one poster in another thread was talking about how it's required, to triage patients. They aren't really treating it as a triage. You just take your number and wait in line. Like cattle waiting to be branded and hoping you make it to the green field beyond.

But I realized it's a moot point anyway, because I found out the poster in question has me blocked.  Oh well, it could be a million and a half reasons how I've offended her. lol

AllieInOntario
on 12/3/10 9:38 am
I agree Jonathan, ....  IMO triage by device implies some form of urgency.   The OHIP system is anything but.  Triage would have you meeting a "team" within a very short period of time and if one went to bat for your surgery...  the team would follow suit.  Here, it's about OHIP giving each step in the ladder their own little thief-dom and now that they each have their paws in the OHIP money pie, I somehow doubt that getting rid hoops of needless consultations is going to happen any times soon.  Sad.

supergirl3
on 12/3/10 9:58 am - Canada
I think these wait times stem from a long-held  societal belief about obesity being a moral failure and therefore, obese people should be treated as second-class citizens. 

This is a great article, thanks for posting.

SUPERGIRL
Start weight - 287
Lowest - 123
Current - 130's
Height 5'7"

Most Active
Recent Topics