OT - Terrible Story I heard at HRRH

P_Floyd
on 12/29/12 1:31 pm - Canada

I can't say one way or the other but I remain skeptical of stories such as this. The pouch is made from one of the strongest parts of the stomach that doesn't stretch much at all. I have to say the exploding idea sounds a little too dramatic and logically, the pouch would give way at a weak point and leak rather than explode. Someone eating a burger and pop 14 days out I can see. Some people just won't be helped no matter what the cost.

Long you live and high you fly 
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry 
And all you touch and all you see 
Is all your life will ever be.

DSOTM

Amanda F.
on 12/29/12 1:45 pm, edited 12/29/12 1:45 pm - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 01/10/13

Can a patient find out if any other patients of a particular surgeon died as a result of surgery or complications from surgery? I looked on the CPSO website, but didn't see anywhere to see patient losses. I only saw a place for recent disciplinary action.

Referral to Bariatric Program at TWH: 08/09/11     Orientation at TWH: 08/17/11                 Nurse Practitioner: 10/12/11
Social Worker: 12/02/11                                         Nutrition Class: 12/21/11                         Nutrition Assessment: 01/26/12
Psycho-Social Assessment: 05/31/12                      Meet Dr. Penner (TWH) 11/30/12            Pre-Admission: 12/10/12

Surgery Date: January 10, 2013
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

For more information on the Midtown Toronto Walking Club, please click here.

MissGlitter
on 12/29/12 2:52 pm - Bergen Op Zoom, Netherlands
RNY on 09/07/12

I asked Dr. Sohi straight out what his personal mortality rate was.  He was happy to answer me with 0.  Just ask your surgeon, they'll tell you.  

Click my name to see my timeline.  "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

2mar
on 12/29/12 9:28 pm
RNY on 09/20/12

My surgeon told me the mortality rate for HRRH was "0" - "and he wanted to keep it like that:,

(deactivated member)
on 12/30/12 8:02 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

Me too MissGlitter, I asked Dr. Sohi  the same thing. 

Monica M.
on 12/29/12 8:09 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

i don't believe it. I'd like to see some kind of evidence before i'd believe a story like that. rumours abound.

sam1am
on 12/29/12 9:49 pm

I'm pretty skeptical as well.  I've heard a similar story about someone stopping for KFC on the way home.  I think someone would vomit before your pouch were to explode. Possibly a scare tactic?

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/12 9:57 pm, edited 12/29/12 10:19 pm - Straford, Canada

A man in my group nutrition class asked if he could puree pizza for the puree stage.  The dietician and most folks there thought he was trying to be humorous.  I'm not so sure.  

I do not believe the exploding pouch story (any of the times I have heard it) but there are stranger things among heaven and earth.  

All surgeries that involve general anesthesia can have deaths from respiratory failure, thrombosis, embolism through to infection, etc.  They just do.  Thankfully the risk is a low percentage.   

NorthernStar
on 12/30/12 2:38 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

At my one-month diet class, I overheard a woman chatting with someone else and she said she pureed a piece of pizza and ate it at 2 weeks out. The other woman she was chatting with high-fived her. I was shocked. What a junkie thing to do. It reminded me of alcoholics drinking hand sanitizer or mouthwash.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

(deactivated member)
on 12/30/12 3:51 am - Straford, Canada

or vanilla extract and lysol!  So sad, such a wasted gift!  imo.

Most Active
Recent Topics