Medical program vs. bariatric surgery?

smallisland
on 5/22/13 10:58 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

The regaining of weight is what I am concerned about too....also the amount I will lose.  I have already lost 42 pounds on my own.  I have lost 64 lbs since my heaviest weight a few years ago.  I am struggling to keep off the regain already.  I think I am seriously going to ask about the VSG and I will call the SW about it today.  Also going to see my family doctor.  Thank you for the info.

Referral Feb 2012, Orientation at Guelph Nov. 29/12, RN, SW and NUT Feb. 13/12, 2nd RN, SW and NUT April 26/13, Dr. Agarwal May 7/13, SW May 22/13. HW 334lbs, CW 269 lbs. Post-op nutrition course August 1/13, Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Sept 9/13, PATTS Oct 9/13, Opti Oct 16/13, Surgery Oct 30/13.

Hanneli xoxo
on 5/22/13 11:08 pm - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

I know a guy in my support group that is an epliectic and he is getting the VSG next month. The meds were a concern of his as well but with the VSG that alleviates the malabsorption of the meds

Onward and
Downward

on 5/23/13 12:55 am, edited 5/23/13 1:00 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

I would definitely ask about other surgery options other than RNY such as VSG, if that would help you absorb your medications better (I don't know if it does, so I can't advise you on that).

Honestly - optifast is just another crash/fad diet.  Yes, it's medically supervised - well, so is Dr. Bernstein. So are many of the other crash diets out there.  It's not sustainable and we've all been on crazy restricted diets like Opti and gained all the weight back.  95% of people who go on diets gain the weight back, especially ones like optifast.  (Just ask Oprah!)  And then you've given another $1,600 to the diet industry that keeps making us fatter and fatter.  Haven't we given them enough money already?

I mean, heck, go ahead and try it if they absolutely refuse you for surgery if you want - but I'd fight like hell to try and get a surgery that will allow you to absorb your medications.  If it's not RNY, then see if the VSG will work.  The only long-term success I've ever seen a large percentage of people have with weight loss programs is weight loss surgery.  Yes, there is always the rare exception with other diets - you could be one of the 5% that keeps it off - but I figure that if I haven't been the exception to that 95% failure rate on every diet I've ever tried by the time I'm 40, I doubt I'll be the exception this time to a non-surgical fad/crash diet.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

smallisland
on 5/23/13 1:37 am - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

Thank you so much for the info...i have been taking further steps in the process...looking into other clinics.  

Referral Feb 2012, Orientation at Guelph Nov. 29/12, RN, SW and NUT Feb. 13/12, 2nd RN, SW and NUT April 26/13, Dr. Agarwal May 7/13, SW May 22/13. HW 334lbs, CW 269 lbs. Post-op nutrition course August 1/13, Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Sept 9/13, PATTS Oct 9/13, Opti Oct 16/13, Surgery Oct 30/13.

smallisland
on 5/23/13 1:41 am - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

Well the SW just called me back and the pharmacist told her that nothing about the medication seems to be a problem...even the anti-seizure drug.  This is really confusing me.  Now she is saying that they are concerned about the support and anti-depressant absorption...she said even though the pharmacist says it will just have to be adjusted am i willing to take the chance anyway.  At this point I have been put on the list to see a surgeon but it will take months.  If I change my mind I am to let them know.  

I did call Humber and they said if med's are a problem then i do qualify for the sleeve.  They do it there.  I am tempted at this point to have my file transferred there.  The whole mess in Guelph is so very frustrating.

The SW did however admit that she should of looked further into the medication thing before I saw her yesterday.  So for now I am on their list...whether I transfer is another story...I just might.

cool

Gizzys
on 5/23/13 3:06 am - Canada

If this was me, an it's only my opinion.  I would go with the sleeve.  Just because of the amounts of meds you take and just in case.

Giselle

I'm 5 ft 7.5 inches tall... 
 "The best way to predict your future is to create it."                   

~ Unknown       

carol_ann_p
on 5/23/13 4:27 am - Canada

I can't speak to what's best for you from a medication perspective, but I had VSG done in Guelph in December 2011 so they certainly are well versed to do that procedure.  Although I was to have the RNY, once they opened me up they decided on VSG for a number of reasons, so I can confirm that they absolutely have done VSG there.  Dr. Pereria Hong was my surgeon.

Best of luck.

Carol P
"Create your future from your future, not your past"    
smallisland
on 5/23/13 6:52 am - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

Well, i saw my family doctor today and she is very confident I can handle any issues that come up with medications and the anti-depressants.  She said her and my Psychiatrist are willing to do a conference call with the surgeons to alleviate any doubts they may have.  My family doc is very supportive and is a good advocate for me wink Tomorrow i am going to call the SW back again to ask for the conference.  They haven't assigned me a surgeon yet so my doctor said there may be one more willing to do it than the others.  Going to give it a good old fashioned try.  Thank you everyone for all your support and info.  It has been very kind and I really appreciate it 

Most Active
Recent Topics