Gastric Fistula?

NorthernGem
on 1/30/14 8:54 am - Sudbury, Canada

I hope you all are doing well its been awhile since the last post. All I can say is WOW I can totally relate, I have just found out that I have a Fistula and I have the same problems and sypmtons. Its been 26 years since my Vertical Gastric Bypass and I to never lost the weight. Im so happy that the Doctor is willing to fix it this summer. 

Referral July 2, 2012 * Ultrasound and Upper GI,  November 12, 2013 * Met Surgeon and Endoscopy, January 29, 2014  *Orientation April 2, 2014 *  Physiotherapist, *Social Worker,  April 25, 2014  * Nurse Practitioner, May 7, 2014  * Nutritionist, May 7, 2014  *Call from Pharmacist, May 8, 2014  * Breast Screening, May 9, 2014, * Sleep Study Test, May 16, 2014  *Surgery Date Fall / Winter 2014* 

Renfairewench
on 3/1/10 8:01 am
I too had an RNY ten years ago, however, my weight was much higher then too. I never got below 200 pounds before my weightloss stopped. I had a distal RNY with 150cm bypassed as well.  Between years four through year ten I had regained 92 pounds. No matter what I did to lose weight my efforts were frustrating and loss minimal. I did a lot of research and with the help of a friend found that I could revise from RNY to Dueodenal Switch (DS) During the consult with the surgeon who did my revision from he said (and I did learn through research) is that Band over Bypass, Stomaphyx, and the Rose procedures do allow for a small amount of weight loss. On average about 25-30 pounds, however, that the weight lost is usually quickly regained. I have not heard of many losing much more weight than that, but admit I have not really done too much research on it.

From the RNY I developed a nasty marginal ulcer which has kept me on PPI medication (Nexium) for nine and a half years.

An RNY to DS revision is not easy, but as far as I'm concerned has been worth the effort, despite several complications and a lengthy recovery that I did have following my revision. I'm 6 months post op and have lost nearly 100 pounds and for the first time in a lifetime feel like I might just make it to my goal weight.

Whatever you do decide to do be well educated and research both the good and the bad.

All the best,
Maddie

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Most Active
Recent Topics