After Apollo Overstitch to correct Gastric Fistula & Reduce Stoma

JoyfulOverload
on 2/21/16 12:09 pm

Hi Ya'll,

I wanted to post an update after having the Apollo Overstitch for those interested in the long haul. I still believe the A.O. is holding. I don't have the symptoms I had before and I'm still loosing. I stayed on a clear liquid diet for 46 days after, then puree foods, then soft foods, then introducing foods slowly. I took this very seriously because I wanted the stitches to hold so I stuck to the program.

Apollo Overstitch preformed on July 27, 2015

It's one week short of 7 months after and I'm happy to say I've lost 60 lbs. I've been at the same weight for 2 weeks.

Height: 5' 10"

Starting Weight: 294

Current Weight: 234 

So the scale is still going down, just not as quickly. It always seems like time is an issue, that I'm not loosing fast enough. 

I do have to say I am 47 years old and currently am having a hard time doing regular daily exercise and I know that is preventing my weight loss.

My joints ache and hurt it seems like all the time. I also still struggle with keeping my nutrients up and drinking enough protein daily, 80 mg minimum, and I feel lethargic most of the day lately.

I am still anemic. I have been taking 3 tabs a day of 325 mg iron as instructed by my hematologist and if my iron levels have not increased in 3 months she will give me another iron transfusion. The gastro doc found out my Roux limb was altered to be way too short during my orginal RNY thus creating extreme malabsorbition. I don't plan to have surgery to correct it any time in the future. 

I did get behind on taking my multi vitamins because I ran out and had to reorder. I hate to admit that but they are expensive and I couldn't get them for 3 months. Well they come in next week and I hope that will get me on the right path again because I can tell a difference. I put my account on automatic refills so I won't run out again. It's just an expense I'll have to budget for. 

I still eat low carb, low calorie, low fat diet. I feel full after eating and don't need a lot. I do feel hunger pains and recognize that as a sign I'm not getting enough protein. I noticed when I'm getting the protein in, as in a protein powder drink mix, that the weight comes off faster. The powder I use has 30 gm of protein per scoop.

I'm not giving up nor am I done yet. All I can do is keep moving forward. My goal is to loose another 60 lbs. My goal is to get and keep my nutrients up. And to work on strength training. I want to feel strong. I will post in a few months and hopefully I can report a new weight loss number. 

Keep progressing everyone! :))

~J.O.~

Harlee J.
on 2/21/16 8:19 pm - Charlotte, NC

Are the sutures so fragile that you have to take things that slow? It's just a 'normal' question. I have no experience with AO and don't think I ever will...esp if there is a possibility of the sutures rupturing. Do you know any statistics on the # of the AO surgeries that happens in? 

I know you are glad to have lost the 60 lbs! I wish you the best in your WL journey!

The most powerful force I have, is what I say to myself and believe.

The most powerful force I have, is what I say to myself and believe.

JoyfulOverload
on 2/22/16 2:00 pm, edited 2/22/16 3:48 pm

Hi Harlee,

There is just not a lot of info out there. There is some and I was able to read up a little on the sutures, they go all the way through the stomach wall. There are different ways used to suture and one has more success than the other. My surgeon only does around 20 per year and he is the only one in Wa State doing AO. His AO have been successes, but I did find research stating half of the fistilas reopen after AO. I am not a professional and am only going from what I've read. 

Staying closed can depend on the size of the fistula, mine was on the smaller side, and patient compliance after surgery.

Vomiting can reopen stitches after surgery, he had me on 3 medications to prevent vomiting after surgery. 

They said my fistula was from an abcess that went undiagnosed and the pressure created a blowout. Thats all I know. It worked for me so far. Good for now but I can always follow up if I think my anatomy needs additional repairs.

Good luck :))

J.O.

mickey4460
on 2/22/16 2:55 pm

Hi Joy, I will be having the apollo procedure done tomorrow. I am nervous and excited at the same time! I have been told that it is three days recovery and that the only pain will be a sore throat. I hope this is true! I really can not take more time off from work. I planned on a liquid diet for a week and then soft pureed foods. After my rny in 2002, I lost 140 lbs. I have kept it off up until about 2014. I started having difficulty eating real food or should I say healthy food! It just did not feel good and I would vomit. I have regained 80 lbs and am very unhappy with this situation. I am considered a success because I kept a large percentage of the weight off for many years. I have never been thin and don't plan on that happening, I just want to feel healthy and energetic again! I will keep you posted! Thanks so much for being here with your story!

Marble
on 2/22/16 3:15 pm

Good luck Mickey. Keep us posted. I was quite tired for six weeks after AO but I am 70 so that may be why.

JoyfulOverload
on 2/22/16 11:49 pm

Hello Mickey, 

Thank you for sharing and good luck with the surgery! I hope they are right and you only have a soar throat. That would be great. Let us know how it turns out. You didn't mention a fistula, is that why you are having the surgery? 

J.O.

mwoerner03
on 2/16/18 12:53 pm

Interested on how you are doing now?

JoyfulOverload
on 2/26/16 8:13 pm

Hi Ya'll,

Someone asked me if the A.O. was worth it. 

Before I had the Apollo Overstitch to close my gastric fistula and reduce my stoma I suffered from acid and bile re-flux so badly that my stomach pouch was stained green. Gross right? I had 5 ulcers. I also had quite a bit of pain on the side of the fistula, so much so that I couldn't lay on that side in bed. That area stayed sore and sensitive, very painful. I suffered from malabsorbation created by having a Roux limb that is too short and the fistula prevented me from really healing. I had no energy and didn't exercise. I lived a very sedentary life. 

I had the surgery on July 27, 2015 and I've lost 62 lbs. I no longer have acid or bile re-flux, pain in my side, and I can sleep any way I want. As long as I stay on my daily vitamin regimen and get in enough protein I have large amounts of energy. 

I wrote I had a dip in taking my vitamins but I am now back on track. I regained my energy and I my joints don't ache.  

I've gone hiking daily for the last three days. I also have a treadmill sitting in my living room. I do yoga to dvd's. None of this I could do before the Apollo Overstitch. 

It was 100% worth it. 

Thank you for reading :))

J.O. 

mwoerner03
on 2/16/18 12:52 pm

How are you doing now?

sarahalpough
on 4/4/16 6:05 pm

I am having the Apollo overstitch on May 9,2016....I am very excited and nervous.. I will keep you posted during my journey..

Most Active
Recent Topics