Can you tell me why you chose VSG

Valerie S.
on 4/26/11 12:27 pm - CA
Thank you for asking this question! I am in the same place, researching the VSG and the RNY. I see the surgeon tmmrw so figure he can provide more information. I was gung go on RNY but now am leaning way more dowager VSG. I know two people who have had it. One has been very successful and the other not so much. But. The same can definitely be said for the RNY.
wert
on 4/26/11 1:10 pm - MN
I got serious about having WLS a little over a year ago after talking to a co-worker who'd lost a lot of weight with RNY. I went home and started teaching myself all I could about the choices available. I never ever considered the lap band/crap band. I don't even remember how/when I ran across VSG but the second I read about it, everything clicked into place. 

The 2 things that really sold me were these. The part of the stomach that produces ghrelin is removed and there goes the hunger hormone. At the time, I'd never even heard of ghrelin. Second, I have a fully-functioning digestive system. I don't have malabsorption issues. To me, malabsorption equaled malnutrition.

I honestly think VSG will be the standard WLS surgery soon. While I was in the hosital I visited with the nurses. They all said they're seeing more and more VSG all the time as insurance companies come on board. One even went so far as to say she thought VSG was the "gold standard" when it comes to WLS.

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Rmoneygirl
on 4/27/11 1:01 am - OH
Thanks for the helpful imput everyone it really helps to hear from people that have had the VSG.  Like I said EVERYONE i talked to has had the RNY and are anti VSG.  They never even concidered VSG so I realize they are not well informed.

I am really leaning towards the VSG now.  Im still pretty young (almost 30) and keeping a somewhat normal digestive system seems important.  I plan on Children sometime before 35 too so that is important not to have malobsoution or mal nutrition

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views