Pre-Surgical Diets: Overkill?

Rouxful
on 2/9/12 3:53 pm
 So yeah, looks like the liquid thing is pure powdered bull**** Whether you take in your proteins via liquid or via solids, it really doesn't matter. In my opinion, I think the liquid diet is potentially dangerous because by the time you get out of the hospital, you've been drinking your meals through a straw for nearly three weeks and are ready to go crazy. I think someone who has had to endure the liquid phase for two weeks (sometimes even a month!) is going to be more apt to hit solids a week and a half out because they're desperate for some real food, regardless of if their sleeve is still healing. 

Everyone, I know you don't like to second-guess someone with a medical degree, but if you're shelling out five figures to have one of your organs removed, it never hurts to make them justify a few things. If your surgeon says "I firmly believe you should be on liquids because of evidence it shrinks the liver more and makes me much more comfortable when performing your sleeve," go liquids. But if your doctor is like "Ah well, you see, the thing is...We just want you to get your liver shrunk and we figure most of you are too lazy or incapable of doing Atkins..." well then it's time to hit the Mongolian Barbeque. Hold the noodles, natch. 

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

MizzEvil
on 2/10/12 9:41 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 03/16/12
My doc's Liver-Shrinking Diet Plan says:

There are NO CALORIE LIMITATIONS on the LIVER-SHRINKING diet. You may eat/drink as much as you wish of the allowed things to feel satisfied, although we suggest reasonable limits to assist your weight loss. This does not have to be a liquid diet.

Start a low carb (30 grams or less daily), high protein (minimum of 60-70 grams daily), keep a close eye on the fat intake (don't over do it) and at least the minimum required daily amount (64oz) of plain water intake diet prior to surgery.

If you chose to drink a protein shake - please read the labels. You should get at least 15 grams of protein & less than 6 grams of total carbohydrates per serving. Protein shakes are NOT required, but are very convenient.

You may have low fat yogurt, lean meats, grilled chicken, green vegetables. We recommend checking the carb content on your food. You can find a very useful carb counter on Adkins.com.

They also give you approx 4 days of ideas for snacks, breakfast, dinner, etc. They also give you an idea of fruits and veggies that are good and low in carbs. Meats to eat. Drink ideas. Vitamins to take. And goes far enough to say: STAY FULL, EAT!! They say that they don't want you to cheat on carbs.

VintageChick
on 2/10/12 11:04 am
I don't necessarily think a surgeon requiring a 'liquid diet' for 2 weeks prior to surgery is cruel. 

I considered two surgeons (excellent local reputations) *****quired a 10% weight loss before they'd even schedule surgery.  For a variety of reasons, I ultimately went with a surgeon (again, an excellent local reputation) *****quires a 10 day 'strained' lower carb diet instead.  If I told him I prefer losing 10%, I doubt he would argue... his goal is simply a healthier liver.  

The 10 day pre-op is fine with me.  Sure it'll be tough, but I'm okay with that.  And it'll help me be prepared to deal with liquids only, following surgery.

It's nice we have a choice in the matter, and what works for one isn't necessarily what works for another.  Having to lose 30+ pounds pre-op wasn't exactly going to be a walk in the park either. 

As long as the end result is a safer surgery and successful weight loss following, it's all good! 
Most Active