Beans: Do you eat them often?

happyteacher
on 4/13/15 9:08 am

I am a bean eater. The protein to calorie ratio is not ideal, as during the weight loss phase I tried to get 1 gram of protein for every 10 calories. But, I would still eat them and balance the day with protein shakes (nearly a 2:1 ratio of protein to caloires). In maintenance, I eat them at least once per week and usually a couple of times per week. 

Another consideration is to really pay attention to what happens to your eating AFTER you eat them. If you notice you get hungry faster, or experience cravings then I would not recommend them. Carbs can trigger that even if from a "quality" source. Beans do not have that effect on me so it is Ok, but steel cut oatmeal does so even though some can do that I cannot. 

I share your "issues" so it is a great way to get fiber and get things moving. Now beans with rice- that rice is terribel for you so skip that part!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

ErinNikki
on 4/13/15 11:40 am
VSG on 12/11/14

I eat beans. I am only 4 months out but have been eating them the entire time. I was never a big meat eater and since surgery, any type of beef does not sit well with me. I try to stick to chicken, fish, and eggs but eat beans as my primary part of my meal probably 2x a week. They don't trigger hunger for me and I am still losing so it has not been a problem. However, I only eat beans I make on my own from dried beans to make sure I am not getting too much sodium and I weigh everything and still make sure my carbs are not too high for the day. 

poplargreys
on 4/14/15 1:18 am
VSG on 03/31/15

I am two weeks out from surgery today, and refried beans with cheese have been one of my staples in the transition from full liquids to soft foods. Once I am able to move on to dense proteins I won't eat them as often, but I do plan to use beans as a part of my diet.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views