Finding healthy alternatives for junk food cravings

etiedeman
on 6/25/15 8:11 am

Popcorn is definitely a once-in-a-while thing, otherwise my stomach hurts. And when I'm eating nuts, they're shelled, so I have to work for it (which slows down my eating and frustrates me to the point where I don't want them anymore). I took my dad to a baseball game for Father's day. Bought him a bag of peanuts. He ate about half of it while we were at the game, then sent the rest home with me. I've had maybe four or five shells (one a day) since then?

Age: 33; Height: 5'7"; VSG 4/14/15; HW: 344lbs (Jan '15); SW: 330lbs; GW#1: 170lbs 

MaronitaMay
on 6/26/15 12:12 am

I eat nuts almost every day!  I purchase "Trail Mix" nuts at Dollar Tree.  I eat them just about every day for lunch.  I feel full after eating it and it is so cheap (one dollar for a 7 oz. bag).  I have NOT gained any weight from this and have actually lost weight (I had Lap-Band surgery).  I started having the nuts because I found I was not home around lunch time, and the nuts were easy to carry with me.  I wouldn't have to deal ith eating out issues.  I am happy with my decision to eat nuts.

MarnitaMay

sechax0r
on 6/24/15 9:48 am
VSG on 11/03/14

Here are some things I like to have when I crave "junk food"

Pork Rinds. No carbs and lots of protein. 1/2 ounce or an ounce can really fill you up.

Beef Jerky, again lots of protein, check the carb counts though. 

Cheese Chips. Melt cubes of cheese in the microwave until the become crispy (About 2 minutes).

For sweet cravings I will eat 10-20 grams of 90% dark chocolate. Fairly low carb and lots of healthy flavonoids.

etiedeman
on 6/24/15 10:07 am

Thanks for the tip! I never thought of the cheese chips! I love "burnt" cheese (my family fights over the edges on lasagne or other bakes). I walked by some dark chocolate in the grocery store the other day but it didn't call to me. Maybe I'll pick some up from Trader Joes this evening.

Age: 33; Height: 5'7"; VSG 4/14/15; HW: 344lbs (Jan '15); SW: 330lbs; GW#1: 170lbs 

psren13
on 6/24/15 12:16 pm - NC
VSG on 03/11/15

Do you use MyFitnessPal or another tracker for your daily nutrition goals?  How many carbs does your program allow you per day?  Most of us that are fairly new stay around 40 gms of carbs per day (or less) and upwards of  60+ on the protein and 64oz or better on water. That will help you see what you are doing and where to trim back.  (You will be amazed at how much carbs in a small amount of pasta.  21gms of carbs in one banana)  If you are craving "noodles" try spaghetti squash or get a spirolli and make zucchini noodles.  Go to the "recipe" forum on here or try Eggface's sites for recipes.  Once again, good luck.  Pam

etiedeman
on 6/25/15 7:50 am

I'm not having trouble with carbs at all. I don't crave them. I do watch the amount I take in because I can't do ANY artificial sweeteners (migraines) and I'm allergic to stevia and agave.

When i do have sugars, I make sure that it's something with nutritional value, like fruit. I'm pretty much off refined and added sugars.

I'm not craving noodles. I'm craving that mac & cheese taste. It has nothing to do with the pasta.

(And I don't use MyFitnessPal because I don't support Under Armour. I use a plain old pen and paper diary).

murphyjo
on 6/29/15 9:00 am

Just a suggestion, but maybe try to mix a little powdered cheese with milk and use a small amount on vege's...??? I am getting ready for surgery and I am terrified of crap cravings!

Stacy_WLS
on 6/24/15 7:43 pm

I played around a lot with cooking early on.  My go tos now are really odd but they work for me.  

Salty craving:  Brussels sprouts (. Roasted with garlic onions & bacon) and sweet potatoes and usually some rotasserie chicken covered in aalt

sweet cravings - berries and often with yogurt.  

You ou can do it. For me success meant staying away from my old triggers

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

etiedeman
on 6/25/15 7:50 am

Thanks, Stacy!

MaronitaMay
on 6/26/15 12:21 am

I use NO salt in my cooking!  I, however, use a lot of herbs in the cooking process.  I have always hated soup prior to surgery.  (I only had canned soup.)  Since surgery, I tried MAKING my own soup and find I love it.  The recipe calls for broth, but I do NOT even bother with that.  I just use water consider I use so many different herbs I don't need to use broth and it is VERY delicious.  I do NOT eat potatoes, rice or pasta.  I am unable to handle any bread (including wraps and whether toasted or not.  I have also found I can NOT eat red meat.)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views