Cleaning out your system before surgery...

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/14/16 5:43 am

In was on liquids before my surgery.. And 4 weeks preop diet..

But - I think It is great idea to get clean (gentle) before any surgery. The sedation and later the pain pills can and do stop the gut. Having "leftover" decaying and fermenting inside me is not good idea. 

I learned to get clean before any procedure... And do more or less liquid diet for at least a day before and the day after...concetrating on proteins.... Load up on proteins...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

happyteacher
on 7/14/16 5:57 am

Yes to ensuring you are going in to a procedure reasonably cleaned out. It does help a lot during the first week of everything being so sluggish. My doc did not require it though for any of my procedures. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

McLassie
on 7/14/16 10:25 am
VSG on 07/25/16

My surgeon requires 48 hours of clear liquids and magnesium citrate towards the beginning of the 48 hours (or two if it doesn't work) for bowel prep.

Donna L.
on 7/14/16 3:34 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

All surgeons have a different protocol.  I was on liquids only for days prior to surgery, then NPO from midnight the night before, until the second day after the procedure.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active