Really concerned about what might have happened during my surgery

Donna L.
on 4/26/17 5:12 pm, edited 4/26/17 10:12 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I've been on antacids for two years and have no iron deficiencies. I'd make sure your supplements are good quality, and that you are getting sufficient animal protein.

The pathologist as was mentioned does not typically identify things more than this. During an endoscopy they can see the type of gastrectomy, and approximate. If you have a pyloric valve intact, you have a sleeve. If not, then it's more likely to be a sleeve. It's impossible to tell on the internet. I would simply call the surgeon's office and ask how your gastrectomy is shaped.

If you are over a year out, having restriction is more likely... closer to surgery, you will not have any, no. I actually had zero close to two years out, and only recently had a bit of it. Everyone is different.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

annie71
on 4/26/17 9:07 pm
Revision on 09/07/16
On April 27, 2017 at 12:12 AM Pacific Time, Donna L. wrote:

I've been on antacids for two years and have no iron deficiencies. I'd make sure your supplements are good quality, and that you are getting sufficient animal protein.

The pathologist as was mentioned does not typically identify things more than this. During an endoscopy they can see the type of gastrectomy, and approximate. If you have a pyloric valve intact, you have a sleeve. If not, then it's more likely to be a sleeve. It's impossible to tell on the internet. I would simply call the surgeon's office and ask how your gastrectomy is shaped.

If you are over a year out, having restriction is more likely... closer to surgery, you will not have any, no. I actually had zero close to two years out, and only recently had a bit of it. Everyone is different.

So if I have the pyloric valve , I have the sleeve ? If I don't, I don't have a sleeve? I picked up the operative notes from hospital today, when I first tried to get them about 3 weeks after surgery alkvthey had was pathology reports. I did get a full report today from the hospital. Would anyone be willing to look at this? You seem very knowledgeable Donna. Are you a dr?

Donna L.
on 4/28/17 2:30 pm, edited 4/28/17 7:30 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I'm not a doctor. I am just experienced from having far too much abdominal surgery :)

I would read the report with a medical professional in person. It might be good to speak to your PCP about it; they might be able to help explain it easier.

A vertical sleeve gastrectomy should be shaped like a long banana. It should look like the picture below.

Image result for vertical sleeve gastrectomy

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/26/17 8:15 am
RNY on 08/05/19

You are not experiencing "poor results," you're going through NORMAL recovery with a VSG. It's not going to feel the same as your band did.

Immediately after surgery, you will NOT feel restriction at all. The nerves in your stomach have been cut and need time to heal, so you can't rely on a physical feeling of fullness. This does NOT mean that your surgery is a failure.

Hunger does not immediately disappear after VSG, particularly if you have acid. It's possible that the acid-reducer you're on isn't working and you may need to try another. Some people never experience a disappearance of physical hunger, since ghrelin can be produced in other parts of the body.

Not everyone experiences immediate dramatic weight loss. Some folks actually gain weight during surgery because of IV fluids and whatnot. Revision patients often don't have dramatic immediate loss either.

By all means, get more information from your doctor; you are your own best advocate. Try not to be accusatory, just try to get more information, and remember that you can always seek a second opinion.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

annie71
on 4/26/17 8:40 am
Revision on 09/07/16

Thank you so much! No I would never accuse him! That's my biggesy fear is breaking the patient /Dr relationship we have had for 12 years! I hear everything your saying but as far as not being hungry right after surgery , maybe even gaining right after due to IV fluids etc, it's been almost 8 months though ..,????? Thank you for all of your input. I really appreciate it,

Donna L.
on 4/26/17 5:14 pm, edited 4/26/17 10:14 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Good providers are not offended by feedback, even if it isn't what they want to hear. Surgeons are very used to seeing weight regain or a lack of progress, I assure you. Ask him to explain what "partial gastrectomy" means. I suspect it's what others have already mentioned, and just a pathologist's description. Non-WLS docs don't know all the lingo, necessarily.

annie71
on 4/28/17 12:00 am
Revision on 09/07/16

Thank you so much for your response.

hollykim
on 4/26/17 5:28 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 26, 2017 at 4:56 AM Pacific Time, annie71 wrote:

Hello. I am praying for some responses. I had a Lap Band for 12 years and when it failed I decided to have a revision to a sleeve. Please know my surgeon is someone I have trusted for many years and have a great Dr. Patient relationship with. After the surgery though, I was not feeling what I felt I was supposed to feel especially in regards to hunger. I got my operative reports from the hospital and they say that my "omentum" was removed and a partial gastrectomy. If you look up partial gastrectomy it is different than a vertical sleeve gastrectomy. I am very concerned and I also feel very bad questioning my Dr about this but, I think I have to or do you think it's possible that a Dr. called a sleeve a "partial gastrectomy"? if it were you and your body, what would you do? I realize most people don't get their surgery reports and question their Dr's. I see him tomorrow. I never expected such poor results with this either. I was much more successful with my lapband. Now I have reflux and no weight loss. He had me do a gastric emptying study today and that was normal but we will discuss results tomorrow. tell me, would you ask about the wording "partial gastrectomy" if you google it, it's not a sleeve gastrectomy. I'm so sad, perplexed and hoping to hear back from you guys.

yes,a vertical sleeve is also know as a type of partial gastrectomy.