Let's talk about protein...

Donna L.
on 7/6/18 10:38 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Most protein starts to denature at 105F, which is probably what happened with the jello. It will need to cool quite a bit, probably to around 110 or so, in order to mix the powder in.

I would make very concentrated protein shots, similar to adding protein to a few ounces of Fairlife. I also just would add protein powder to most of my liquids.

I'm largely unconvinced that puree vs. soft foods matters somewhat, however I had a pureed stage before my soft foods stage. The biggest difference is that pureeing things breaks down a lot of the food far more so it's more nutrative.

Many of us become lactose intolerant, even after the VSG. After my VSG I could not tolerate yogurt comfortably until a few weeks out. Ricotta was, weirdly, easier close to surgery. Eggs were similarly problematic. I had the backwards sleeve though; I tolerated beef the best initially, as well as goat and lamb.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Kathy S.
on 7/6/18 10:51 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I would suggest checking the what you are eating daily thread. Great options to see what and how everyone is getting their protein in. Also check out eggface's recipes

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Valerie G.
on 7/6/18 2:09 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Soft food isn't much on the meat spectrum. Some chicken or tuna salad might fare well as soft food, but beware of actual breast meat. I'm 12 years post op and it can still sit in my stomach like a brick. People have really good luck with shrimp and it's fantastic protein punch. I also loved making things with ricotta cheese for the protein punch. Just omit the pasta. I swear you won't miss it.

Best bet is to stick to slow roasted meats at first that you can mush with a fork (you don't have to, but it's good gauge of tenderness).

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/15/18 3:20 pm, edited 7/15/18 8:21 am - OH

Follow YOUR surgeon?s plan, and if something doesn?t agree with you, leave it off your plan for a while. If several things on your new stage aren't agreeing with you, then going back to your previous stage will likely help.

My surgeon's experience was that tummies that were ?babied? with too many weeks of liquids and purees tended to have more trouble when introductions soft food, so her RNY patients were allowed puréed and soft foods on Day Three post op. I had two small bites of moist scrambled eggs (do NOT try them if they are cooked into complete dryness!) before I came home from the hospital, and had baked chicken nuggets with a very small amount of sauce at the beginning of week 2.

I had no problems with the fast progression involved, and the only one from our support groups that I know of who had trouble ended up with a bad gallbladder that had to come out just a couple weeks after surgery. The advanced diet made it easier to get protein in and eliminated some of the cravings for something to actually chew (which many people on extended liquids purees struggle with).

If you follow what YOUR surgeon gave you, and you have trouble with it, YOUR surgeon is the vets one to give you advice (usually the backing off advice I, and others, mentioned above).

Lora

ETA: sorry... my iPad put up weird special symbols sometimes.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views