can of worms

lisaweisenbach
on 4/1/08 1:48 am - Jonesboro, AR
VSG on 03/17/08 with
I kinda feel like i opened a can of worms... theres so much talk, on another thread, about the complications in Mexico and them not letting u leave if u dont pay the bill, etc.. it seems I started this? maybe? ok, I think i did.....but anyway... here's my thing.... i had a complication with Dr. Joya...my liver was enlarged, he lacerated it...I have no idea how bad it was...I had 2 units of blood, extra OR time ( they said), and extra other things....not sure what other things they were talking about, bc they never said exactly.  i was in the hospital 2 days.....no one ever came to me about the additions to my bill. Yes, I was aware there could be extra charges and I agreed to pay them. My issue with the whole situation was that Dr. Joya's asst Nathalie came to me at discharge, handing me my papers and it was at this time she told me of the additions...I was upset that we were not given adequate time to prepare for this at all. Since no one had said anything about these additions, I felt I would not be charged since it was an accident, not my fault.... but i was told i had to pay for them.. I was not allowed to leave the hospital until I paid them. I have no idea what would have happened if I had tried to leave....i dont even want to think about it.. the other problem was that it was difficult to pay for. My plan was...if there were additional charges....was to just transfer money from my bank in the states to a bank or even walmart there in mexico....but Nathalie said this wasnt an option....so, then i tried using my debit card....but this wasnt an option either, if i wanted to leave the hospital....she said that only $400 could be drawn from the debit card per day.....I dont know where she came up with that...maybe its a Mexico thing? i dont know. All of our credit cards combined didnt have enough room to pay the additional $1200+ ..... I was in tears by that time.. Larry was angry. Our last option worked, thankfully......we were able to use my parents credit card from the states. Nathalie faxed her a form that she filled out, had to make copies of her card and ID...and fax it all back... If that last option hadnt worked....we would not have been able to leave....and I have no idea how we would have gotten out of it... It was an extremely difficult situation to go thru.....plus, i was still trying to recover..in so much pain...was miserable..and the added stress didnt help at all. I think Dr. Joya is a fine doctor....altho i really didnt have much interaction with him. I remember only seeing him like 4 times the entire time I was in Puerto Vallarta. So I really didnt get to know him. I dont know if hes like that with every patient....it just kinda felt like he was ignoring me....but I wont swear to that.. Im proud that its over...I got my Sleeve.. I had no leaks...and now, Im doing really well...

Mona
on 4/1/08 1:55 am
VSG on 02/16/07 with
hopefulme
on 4/1/08 1:56 am - Liberty Township, OH
I'm so glad and thankful you got through all this.  I know many will not agree with me but I must say - if you are thinking of going to Mexico think long and hard - you just never know.  I thank God you made it through and recovered.  I'm sure there are many people that could not come up with the additional money - then what?  Also, I would really like to know - is the liver laceration thing something that has occured here in the states to anyone that posts here?   Good luck to you - you deserve to be a "fast loser" and I wish you luck. Donna  
Hopeful Me

lisaweisenbach
on 4/1/08 4:21 am - Jonesboro, AR
VSG on 03/17/08 with
thank you, Donna... If i had it to do over again...I would do things a little different....BUT, I would stil go to Mexico....bc I couldnt get the surgery in the States... Im just glad its over!

kathrynusa
on 4/1/08 10:47 am - Ellerslie, GA
 Hi All, Yes, I have had my liver nicked...I had my gallbladder removed in 1990..The new way without cutting you open...I woke up with a drain..Jackson Pratt..I kept asking the staff why did I have that tube in..No one answered me...I went home with it..I did hear some whispering on the otherside of the room between staff members...LOL When I went in to have the tube  removed the surgeon finally admitted he hit my Liver...I've been fine and the Liver has a great way of healing its self...No, I never sued or got mad. Of Course I had it done in Ohio. Lisa,...How much were you charged over your surgery? I agree with Debbie..It's better to hear your story and let US make up our own mine!..Lisa your going to be fine!..When you have your blood work done they will check your Liver Labs. Hugs, Kathryn and Handsome Rascal
**Debbie** .
on 4/1/08 1:58 am - GA
Lisa, you didn't open a can of worms.  You just told us about your experiences, the good and the not so good, and it's up to others to make their decision if they want to risk getting into a situation like you did. Dr Joya is the one that caused the nic in your liver and from the minute I read this I was incensed that you had to pay extra for his mistake.  I didn't say anything but I thought it was totally unfair of him.  Also based on some of your other very honest comments I thought to myself I wouldn't go to him if I were waiting to have surgery in Mexico.   You are doing well and that is the good news, others will make their own decisions about whether they are interested in using him as their DR.  You did a lot of folks a favor writing about your experience, now they can make and informed decision and weigh the risks.

Debbie

lisaweisenbach
on 4/1/08 4:29 am - Jonesboro, AR
VSG on 03/17/08 with
Thanks Debbie....I didnt really think i should pay for anothers mistakes....unfortunately, i had to.. I do hope others learn by it...i dont want to steer anyone from Mexico...but if I could have had my surgery in the States...I would have

Fatoosh
on 4/1/08 2:00 am - TX
VSG on 03/20/08 with
Not your fault at all.  It just is what it is.  Also, it's good for people to know.  What if you spent your last dime on the surgery and there was nobody to bail you out.  Would you be in jail?  That's a horrible thought.   I am curious why he didn't put you on a longer liquid diet though, if you had a higher BMI and he thought the enlarged liver might be an issue.  Dr A. mentioned that one of his larger BMI patients had to be on the liquied diet for a month because of his BMI (65-70, I think  he said).  I'm no doctor though, so I guess he had his reasons.
lippylulu
on 4/1/08 2:59 am - Staten Island, NY
VSG on 03/26/08 with
A higher BMI does not always mean a larger liver. My BMI was 40 the day of surgery and they said I had one of the biggest livers they ever saw.  It has a lot to do with where you carry your weight and the structure of your body.  I am not sure if a nicked liver is a doctor's "fault" or not.  I know my doctor had a very hard time working around my huge liver and if a nick had happened perhaps that is just a known risk and not necessarily an error.  BTW, I had tests, liver ultrasounds etc before surgery. We all knew my liver was enlarged, but no one knew it was HUGE.  I was not put on a liquid diet before surgery.   I thank my highly skilled surgeon and good luck that there were no nicks. That being said, Lisa you have done a beautiful job at sharing your experience and that is what this board is for.  We don't all have to be thrilled with every aspect of our sugery.  For instance I think my surgeon is one of the best around, but I might not choose him again because I had an awful time in the hospital's recovery room and SICU.  All we can do is share our experiences and let others folllow their own path.
Linda

lisaweisenbach
on 4/1/08 4:27 am - Jonesboro, AR
VSG on 03/17/08 with
I dont really know if he even knew much about me before my surgical day. He had my medical forms that i filled out for him and emailed back....but i dont know if he went over them ahead of time. The only thing I know they do upfront for higher BMI's is increase the price by $500.. I wish i had done a diet for a month now....but I didnt know...my 2 wk diet got me to lose 11 lbs...i thot that might be enough, ya know....

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 290 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 342 views