21 years RNY post op

sogagirl
on 8/7/23 9:49 am - Folkston, GA

I'm not a fighter.
Just wanted to share my experience.
If I knew back then what I know now, I would never had the surgery. I have totally changed my lifestyle. I eat whole food plant based, move more. In this way of eating healthier, I feel a whole lot better, I don't take any medication, my biomarkers are good. I believe that I am healthy.
I am authentic for myself and others.

Take care ?

White Dove
on 8/7/23 3:14 pm - Warren, OH

If that worked, weight loss surgeons would be out of business.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

LisaK/ UnstapledLisa
on 8/14/23 4:44 pm - plymouth, MN

Thank you for seeing that I meant well and I don't understand again the need for others to attack just because they were LUCKY not to have to go through some of the awful experiences that others have had.

I've had the full support of OH staff knowing that I talk about my complications and reversal to help support those who can relate, I'm not trying to scare anyone out of their bariatric surgeries but it's important people hear experiences ideal to catastrophic but realize they may fall in the middle but for those of us who had bad experiences, it's not for anyone to be mean or unsupportive, it's just so easy to ignore what another might find not relevant to them.

Again, I'm sorry both in complications and rude comments happened to you.

Know that you have helped people who don't have a voice by sharing what happened to you, so all the stuff you had to put up with, hopefully you realize you are helping people by having posted.

peace, Lisa

jenlmaz
on 8/9/23 9:23 pm

Same. My gastric bypass was 20 yrs ago. I have not ever gone past 200 so I'm happy with the weightloss however now all of a sudden if I eat carbs or sugar my glucose skyrockets and then plummets to a low. Endo says it bariatric hypoglycemia and has me on acarbose. It's slows down carb absorption . It has helped a little. But yeah I have been at 40 at 1 am and barely conscious so it's very dangerous. After that I got a continuous glucose monitor. My insurance won't pay for it because I'm not diabetic . I have an appt next month with a bariatric surgeon. I'm going to ask about reversing the gastric bypass. I'm pissed no one knew this was a possible complications 20 yrs ago.

Gina 21 Years Out
on 9/23/23 1:41 pm - Burleson, TX

21 post RNY here... I think there is so much the medical community just flat didn't know yet. I came home with instructions for Flintstones vitamins and some kid of chocolate calcium chews. Period. That's it! And I had a absolutely fantastic surgeon, but the follow up just wasn't there

LAWD, the things/people have seen in the past 2 decades!

I wish you good luck, in all sincerity, with finding the health needs you seek

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

jenlmaz
on 9/23/23 1:53 pm

True! Some surgeons actually still do recommend flint stones vitamins! CRAZY! My gastro just diagnosed me with SIBO too and they now know that is gastric bypass related. I get that gastric bypass was new and they have found new complications but did they even think to consult with gastroentetologists and endocrinologists to discuss potential issues this rewriting of organs could cause?

jenlmaz
on 9/23/23 1:47 pm

Thank you! You take care as well.

Most Active