WLS in Mexico

kimmalcom01
on 1/19/15 8:04 am

Hi, 

I will start my preop diet Jan 29th. The time is just flying by. 

When do you start yours. I don't have to be on clears until 3 days prior to surgery date, I'll start on protein shakes for breakfast and lunch and a salad for dinner for 11 days then 3 days of clear liquids, is that similar to what your doing?

K

Memelee504
on 2/22/15 7:02 am - New Orleans, LA
with

Kimmalcome01 where are you? You haven't check back in after your surgery. How did it go? I've been home since 2/19 working this thing out. 

kimmalcom01
on 2/22/15 7:54 am

Hi Memelee,

How are you. I'm glad your back and doing well. First I will say it was a great experience in Tijuana Mexico. Like having surgery anywhere there is always risk, but I felt like the staff was very confident and skilled. I had my RnY bypass on Feb. 11 with Dr. Ortiz, I did have a small bleed at one of my sites because my JP drain kept filling up too quickly, they took me back to the OR but the bleed had already fixed itself. I did lose a little blood and needed a blood transfusion😥. I felt great after the transfusion. Left the hospital a day early and back to hotel. The gas pain killed me the next day but I got through. Everything else was great! 

Since being home(Monday Feb 16) I had two good days and on the night of the second day I started throwing up non stop, everything i ate (drank really) came back up. On Wednesday night I narrowed it down to my protein shake being wayyyyy to strong and heavy for my new system (muscle milk)..I contacted the after care coordinator with A lighter me as well as Dr. Ortiz and they both offered their suggestions. Dr. Told me to take my gas strips drink plenty water and rest my stomach, I did just that! Friday I decided to go see a gastrointestinal doctor, and basically she said that my stomach was swollen from the vomiting and that was keeping me from keeping things down. She prescribed me some carafate and protonix and I have not thrown up since. I will also do a follow up GI Xray. 

I feel great now. I have been drinking the premier protein shake ( chocolate from Costco). My incisions look great. I'm not a stickler to the scale but I believe I've lost 10 lbs since surgery, 20lb total. 

I have no regrets, but it would have been easier if we had this same benefit here at home. 

How was your experience? 

Memelee504
on 2/23/15 12:08 am - New Orleans, LA
with

Hi there, every thing was excellent. I flew into TJ, Mex on 2/14 V-Day with my husband once we got situated every thing was great. We hung out in TJ.. We went shopping, we went to the movies, and I watch my husband eat some of the most amazing looking food. I was really hoping that 1thing, just 1thing he ate was nasty. Lol

Sunday 2/15 the lab tech came to my room drew my blood and on 2/16 they pick me up for surgery. I was the 1st one in my group of 3 to receive my sleeve that day. I was out of recovery in my hospital room in a few hours. Now the night of the surgery I had dry heaving really bad it really sounded much worst than it felt. But they gave me some nausea meds and it passed. They pumped me so full of gas and IV fluids I stayed in the bathroom and my roommate talked non-stop. Lol... So I couldn't wait until the next day to get to the recovery boutique center where I stayed 2 days. The VIDA boutique was so beautiful my husband kept saying why in the hell we don't have hospitals like this in the US. I had a single incision sleeve so I had little to no pain. I was just sleepy.. But my husband would make me walk every 2 hours for at lease 10 minutes. 

I returned back to the hotel on 2/18 we went on a tour of the city bought some items to bring home and I returned to New Orleans on 2/19. Since I've been home I haven't had any pain just a little dizziness which I'm sure is from not eating. I hated to eat because it hurt initially. I'm doing better with that I'm just learning how to navigate this tummy.. But overall

I'm extremely impressed with Dr. Lopez and his team. I would recommend them to anyone and like you I wish they would offer quality services like this in the US. 

kimmalcom01
on 2/23/15 5:16 am

Im so happy to hear you had such a great experience. I never realized the scope of medical travel until now. As time goes by you will learn your new stomach and have great success doing so. 

meka33319
on 12/30/14 2:17 am

ymillavsg
on 1/28/15 4:27 am

Hi Memelee504

I had my VSG in TJ, Mex. with WLS4betterlife & Dr Ponce de Leon on 12/18/14. I had a wonderful experience. Trish was my patient coordinator, she was heaven sent. I have had no pain nor discomforts whatsoever. I am down 26lbs and growing strong each day. I was taken off all BP meds. on 12/31. Unfortunately, I didn't have a single incision nor was i aware of it. However I had four incision, which healed in a painless, timely manner. I wish I had made this decision years earlier. I'm praying you have a speedy recovery with great success. 

Memelee504
on 1/28/15 8:07 am - New Orleans, LA
with

Hi Ymillavsg, thanks for responding I see you are doing excellent down 26 pounds in a little over a month. I haven't been placed on BP meds but my doctor has been trying to for over a year. Earlier this month he told me that he was placing me on BP meds and I told him that I will be having WLS in a few weeks and he said fine, but he turned his nose up when I said I was doing it in MX.. But who cares what he thinks. When I spoke to the patient coordinator at Bariatrics Medical Center she said that I would have 5 incisions. My stomach is so sensitive I opted for the singles incision for quicker recover and less pain.. I have 18 more days before my big day and I too wish I would have made this decision years ago.. Let's keep in touch 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 202 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1145 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME
christy2544 · 5 replies · 2047 views