RNY and endurance nutrition

krista_beth
on 8/16/07 11:05 am - Providence, RI

Hello All, I am going to begin training to walk the Walt Disney World marathon in January for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I'm looking for advice from any post-op endurance athletes out there about nutrition in training and during the race. I obviously can't "carb load" or gulp down power bars/gels, is it just a matter of smaller amounts of carbs at regular intervals? I will eventually discuss this with the team nut, but just wanted to know if anyone else had any tips from experience. Thanks!

preview image

Scott William
on 8/18/07 2:58 pm
Oh boy.  I have so much to say but it is too late for me because I am beat.  I am running Disney's Goofy race next year and ran the marathon this year.  You can check out my running blog with a race report in my signature.  I will post more when I get a chance.  Good luck
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
krista_beth
on 8/18/07 11:42 pm - Providence, RI
Thanks - I will check out your blog. You're doing the Goofy challenge? That's awesome! Please PM me some time and tell me your tips! Take care, Krista

preview image

Scott William
on 8/20/07 9:46 pm
I have not had much problem getting in carbs.  Do you dump?  That will make a big difference.  I do not.  Typically, I will carb load the day before a long run along with water loading.  I will eat oatmeal bars, begals, or anything else that I can think of.  On the runs, I have eaten those things along with power gel, energy beans and gatorade.  Try these things out before you go and also try them during short walks to see how they work during exercise. One of the things that I had an issue with was Poland Spring water.  It took me a while to figure out why I had to keep stopping during my runs.  For Disney they use Dasani water so make sure that you are alright with that.  They also hand out Gu, bananas and small chocolate bars.  Overall, it is just trial and error.  Good luck Scott
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Most Active