Anyone else have inconsistent restriction with Lap Band?

Lynn C
on 1/12/11 5:31 am
although I never had this kind of trouble with the band I know what you're saying. My first two years was a breeze 100lbs gone, it was great. Shortly after that it changed, it was very subtle, I never had wild restriction swings, it was very rare for me to be to tight, but my stomach was dilated so maybe that is why?

For a lot of people there comes a time when the band stops working, its quite common - revision may be your only hope. Good luck!

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

bandsterrach
on 1/12/11 8:22 am
I want to thank everyone for their input.  I'm on my second doctor and I feel like I'm getting the same run around.  I have an appointment on Friday to discuss the last upper GI (done Monday morning, but the nurse practitioner called me to tell me everything looks in place.)  If I get the same responses, I'm going to just have the band unfilled for the time being.  Weight-wise, I'm almost where I was 4 years ago, so I feel like a bit of a failure....not to mention dealing with the feeling of failing my parents because they paid for the surgery out of pocket.  I was recently laid off and I'm full-force in my job search.  I have good insurance, thanks to my husband.  So do I use this time (while I'm on unemployment) to possibly have a revision?  And is a revision of band removal and then gastric bypass the only option? 
herrington76
on 11/3/15 3:51 pm - sevierville, TN

i am at a loss right now. I had my surgery march 2008. 3 weeks ago i went out drinking with friends had a little too much and spent half the night vomiting and literally over night my band restriction completely ceased. Its been 3 weeks now i thought i messed something up went to lap band dr right away said there was nothing wrong with it. Meanwhile im eating double cheese burgers and fries with a large coke like a champ. I have this insaciable hunger and ive gained 20 pounds in 25 days. Im so worried because i cant stop eating im going to gain evetything back and the dr cant help me.

helpme2shrink
on 8/22/16 3:48 am

Omg you are living in my hell!!!! I have been banded since 2009 and the first year was ok however since then I live everyday in fear of not being able to eat without some type of band drama!!

"My world is expanding as my butt is shrinking!"
Highest Weight - 433
Day of Surgery - 398.5

rcourtney
on 1/21/11 12:29 am - Phoenix, AZ
Yes! 
I had the Realize Band in Scottsdale, AZ three years ago this month.  I've never posted anything before, even when I wasn't losing weight anymore.  I started at 322 and within a very few months, I lost 50 pounds.  Then I had to start working at it.  I wasn't eating the best solid proteins (some fried things, etc.) so I blame only myself for not losing more.   I was stuck at around 265 for over a year, and just in the last few months, I've started actually exercising.  In May a year and a half ago, I could eat 8 boneless wings from Buffalo Wild Wings, plus half an order of fried mushrooms.  (I'm just throwing that in there...)  Once in a while, I could eat most of a burrito from Taco Bell.  I didn't eat like that all that often, but just sometimes.  Anyway, since I started exercising in October, I've lost another 20 pounds.  I notice that during Christmas time when I'm around all the relatives, I can eat less (mostly just soup in the evenings, and maybe chips now and then).  I assumed this was stress related.  For the last several weeks, though, I haven't been able to eat AT ALL in the mornings, and in the evenings, I can only eat soup.  Yes.  The horribly fattening, yet wonderfully tasty Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup.  But when I haven't been able to eat ALL DAY LONG...  I feel like I need SOME kind of real food!  For the last week or two, I've had night coughing and acid reflux, which I've never had before.  Yesterday and today, I haven't even been able to eat all the soup I make.  I made a pitcher of tea and have filled up a 44 oz. Sonic cup yesterday, and today, and I haven't been able to drink it all (sipping on it all day and evening) either day.  What's weird is that a week ago, I could drink half a gallon of water (and then some!) in just an afternoon. 

I've read online that the mornings could have more restriction because of possible drainage (gross).  But I don't understand why it should last ALL DAY.  When I'm able to eat at night, it usually starts pretty slowly, but then as I eat, the band seems to open up a little and I can eat more easily.  Last night, I tried eating some soup and started around 8:30 when I finally felt like I might be able to keep something down.  I was able to take a bite every five or ten minutes.  Then (after several reheats) at around 11:25, I finally took a bite and was able to take another bite right afterward.  It was so late by then, and I was so sleepy, that I just threw out the rest (which was almost as much as what I'd started with).  I don't understand why it should take me three hours to eat some stupid soup. 

I've wondered if I was getting too much salt and that was causing water retention / swelling, and I thought maybe I was stressed out about starting a new temp job that will last a week and a half, and I thought that maybe I'd messed up my band by drinking diet Cokes now and then.  (By the way, I haven't had any soda of any kind in at least two weeks.)  I really don't know what's going on.  I don't understand how when I moved here 2 1/2 years ago, I could eat normally (for having a band) and now, I can't even drink! 

HELP!
Most Active