Healthy Choices in a Mexican Restaurant?

hopeinarizona
on 1/14/11 3:19 am
Yep, just as everyone else said, you can get a  protein-rich meal at a Mexican restaurant. All of the grilled meats, or braised (like barbacoa and carnitas), along with veggies, salad greens, etc. I usually order something like that, ask them to leave off the rice and beans side and add either veggies or a side salad instead.

That said, I find it difficult to avoid the chips and salsa & margaritas, so I limit my Mexican restaurant outings

bleumonique
on 1/14/11 4:04 am - los angeles, CA
I order either the tostada compuesta (flat tostada) with chicken or beef, and no refied beans (I say yes to black beans, if they have them.   I omit all sauces, but allow guacomole (the good fat ) if its like two tablespoons, and I don't sweat a small amount of cheese.  I add salsa (pico de gallo) and lime as dressings.  I do not eat the fried tostada on the bottom or I have it omitted.  I get through maybe a third of this salad, if that.

Also, sometimes I'll get a chicken or single soft taco plate, and substitute salad for rice (with salsa & lime/lemon for dressing) and black or stewed beans instead of refried.  I take off one of the tortillas on the taco and either split the meat and save the second taco, or discard the tortillas and eat only the meat with the salad.  Either way, I have to either share this meal or take at least 3/4 to 2/3 of it home for another meal.

Monique

http://www.meetup.com/Lap-Band-Meetup/
Highest weight: 275; Consult: 265; 2 wks Pre-Op (5-14-10): 255;  current weight (9-26-11):

Largest Size: 24; Pre-Op Size (5-14-10): 20; Current Size (9-26-11): 14
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

tracycoder
on 1/14/11 4:21 am
My mouth is watering reading this thread!  I can't wait to go to dinner tomorrow!

Thanks for all your ideas!
Most Active