The Basics for weight lifting

carbonblob
on 4/2/07 3:28 pm - los angeles, CA
Hey Big Syd

very cool! i started at 6 years old with my dad! now the very cool deal is with your son. start him off with basics and watch what happens to him. because he's young and pliable, he can develop a physique that will stay with him a lifetime. for him, i would stress wide grip chin ups and bar bell pullovers. anything that stretches him. he can get a v taper and large rib cage now and like i said, will have that look for life. so by all means, get him interested.

now for you. don't worry about weight gain, i hate to tell you but it takes and almost super human effort to gain weight and lean muscle mass. weightlifting will help you with bones and so many other things that you need not worry about anything else. in order to pack on muscle weight you have to be very serious and diet to gain the weight too. so what i suggest is that no matter what you lift, at most, you might gain a couple of muscle pounds in the next few months. it takes a concentrated program of suppliments, diet and specific exercises to gain say 25 pounds of muscle. I lift like crazy and I don't gain weight so like I said, don't stress over gaining.

If that's you goal, i could certainly tell you how to achieve weight gain but you want the opposite so here goes......i know i sound like a broken record but do those 20 exercises or a variation of them. pick 3 or 4 for each body group and do 3 or 4 sets of 10 to 12 reps. you'll still lose inches, get bigger in size and drop weight. promise! oh, you'll get bigger where you want it, in your chest and arms and shoulders. let's just say you'll rearrange some poundage in your build. so for your chest, do all your bench movements and dips if you have a way to dip. flyes are for the inner plates on your chest so stick with benching. keep up with abs everyday. don't let your other body parts fall behind, you want to look balanced so do your curls, presses and leg work too. keep your reps in the higher range up to 12 and rest only 30 seconds between sets. also, on your days off do your cardio. this is how i work out and i maintain size yet stay slim with the cardio. of course you can defete the purpose if you do too much cardio. you just burn off your gains but keep lifting and cut back on the cardio and you'll see size gains.

watch the diet of course, you might eat more with this routine too. try to shoot for one gram of protein per body pound. so if you're over 200 you'll need that amount in protein, that's going to be hard! so drink shakes with no more than 45 grams in them. you'll just **** away the excess. this is going to be a little expensive at your weight but the protein is needed to maintain your size. give it a try. go basic. it's what you and your son need right now anyway. when you've given this a shot for 3 months at least 4 days a week, report back and let's see some pics! good luck and email me if you have any questions.....carbonblob

(deactivated member)
on 4/5/07 8:08 am - XX
Thank you very much. I really do appreciate the advice and plan to use it.
Most Active
Memorial Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 29 views
Recent Topics
Memorial Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 29 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 61 views
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 75 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 97 views