Batwingsman’s Posts

Batwingsman
on 8/10/23 5:17 pm, edited 8/10/23 5:18 pm
Topic: RE: Rough Journey In Losing 450 Lbs., But He Made It

Interesting story in the media of one man's WLS, loose skin removals, diet, etc.

https://www.aol.com/news/man-loses-450-pounds-reaching-00481 3180.html

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

Batwingsman
on 6/20/23 11:59 pm
Topic: RE: John Goodman - Shows Off His 200-Lb. Weight Loss

I was not aware he had gotten that heavy .. Didn't he have WLS some time back, or am I confused .. ?

https://www.aol.com/lifestyle/john-goodman-shows-off-200-160 032985.html

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

Batwingsman
on 4/19/23 2:32 pm, edited 4/19/23 2:33 pm
Topic: RE: Billy Gardell On Life After Gastric Bypass Surgery

Batwingsman
on 3/19/22 1:42 pm
Topic: RE: Al Roker Looks Back On His WLS

Over the long haul, he has certainly done an excellent job (except for at least a couple of worrisome "ups and downs" that I noticed personally ), but I just can't believe it was 20 years ago .. I thought for sure he didn't have it done until some time after my own, which was less than 16 years ago .. (he does "blooper" though in his video and state that "these are the pants I wore back in 2020 when I had my (WLS)" .. - he must have meant "2002")

Check out this bit of wisdom from the video:

"Here's the thing I say to the person in the couple who?s not struggling with their weight: Shut up," he said. "We know we're fat. We know we need to lose weight. You're nagging us and pleading with us doesn't help. In fact, in ways, it makes it worse. We're not going to change until something clicks within us."

https://www.aol.com/lifestyle/al-roker-marks-20-years-142706 029.html

Batwingsman
on 2/20/22 11:56 pm, edited 2/20/22 11:59 pm
Topic: RE: Local WLS Couple on Local T.V. News Last Night

This was really a sweet story - they are two years out (from their "gastric bypass") and doing great, having lost a total of 250 lbs., and now both of them are able to spend more time actively with their three young sons. Listen carefully to what the "dad" says near the end of the video, re: guys who are reluctant to get WLS, for one reason (excuse) or another ..

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/arlington-couple-loses-alm ost-250-pounds-to-live-a-healthier-life-for-their-family/289 3735/

Batwingsman
on 3/11/20 3:17 pm
Topic: RE: Danny & Lexi's Story

A vow (and bet) made on NYs by a newly-married couple turned out beautifully for both of them (sorry about all the ads in the article, btw):

https://www.icepop.com/couple-change/?utm_source=geni&utm_ca mpaign=35196775770&utm_term=NEWS_US&utm_gemini=news.yahoo.co m&utm_content=newnext&utm_medium=It_YG_IP_US_D_ChrEdg_Couple Change_sngl_v1_0112

btw, Danny has his own weight loss advice media for men now .. as mentioned in the article ..

Batwingsman
on 2/19/20 2:07 pm
Topic: RE: "How You Sabotage Yourself" (Dr. Phil)

Very true, and my heart really goes out to this sibling pair .. He lost over 400 lbs. but regained it all and even more ..

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/watch/you-have-to-understand -why-you-sabotage-yourself-says-dr-phil-to-siblings-with-wei ght-issues/vi-BB109qMm

Batwingsman
on 2/19/20 1:50 pm
Topic: RE: "The Big Show's" Transformation

He took off the fat and put on some (extra) muscle. Looks great now. Here's how he did it (sorry for having to run the "gauntlet of ads" to read it, btw):

https://petsdetective.com/sports/big-show-huge-transformatio n-wwe/?l=a&utm_source=AOL.com&utm_medium=Referral&utm_campai gn=Direct

Batwingsman
on 11/10/19 10:51 pm
Topic: RE: Inspiring Story (and Blogs) of "Discovering Danny" (and "Fat Girl Fed Up")

Amazing transformation, although I wish they wouldn't have taken a dig at WLS near the end of the article (i.e. "did it without gastric bypass surgery" ):

https://www.icepop.com/couple-change/?utm_source=aol&utm_med ium=Az_AOL_IP_US_D_CoupleChange_v1_0610&utm_content=newnext& utm_term=aol

Batwingsman
on 7/3/19 6:20 pm, edited 7/3/19 6:23 pm
Topic: RE: Former NFL QB Jared Lorenzen Dead At (Only) 38

Wow. This is a really sad story. Lorenzen, despite his unusual size for a quarterback (260 or so lbs.), had a record-setting career in college football for Kentucky and later went on to play for a couple of NFL teams. After time, his weight started going higher and higher until he had reached about 500 lbs, in part b/c of hypothyroidism. Realizing he had to do something and fast, he began the "Jared Lorenzen Project" -- using the services of a personal trainer and a nutritionist in a concentrated effort to lose the excess weight. He documented the beginnings of his journey in a series of videos online. Despite those efforts he recently suffered an infection and, after having been in the hospital for same, passed away. I'm just stunned as to why he did not opt to have WLS instead. Given his age and being a former top athlete, it seems he would have been an ideal candidate for same. If he had gone with WLS, he might still be alive today.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2019/07/03/former-kentucky- qb-jared-lorenzen-dies-at-38/23762593/

Batwingsman
on 2/21/19 9:58 pm
Topic: RE: Sean Milliken ("My 600-Lb. Life") Passes

Yeah .. someone on the general forum mentioned the fact that he asked his mom to bring him food all the time and as a result she sabotaged his weight loss efforts a great deal . She did pass on though recently ..

Batwingsman
on 2/20/19 12:45 pm

Happened to run across this additional article about Sean's passing earlier today .. a bit more in-depth .. It also seems to dispute that he had regain problems following his weight loss ...

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2019/02/20/my-600-lb-life-s tar-sean-milliken-dies-in-texas/23673805/

Batwingsman
on 2/19/19 8:27 pm, edited 2/19/19 8:36 pm

Very sad news .. IIRC, he's the second person (guy?) from the show to pass away in the past year or so .. I note from the article that Sean apparently had regained a lot of his major weight loss prior to his death .. I'll never forget an early surgical pioneer of WLS (RNY) who spoke to a group of us interested pre-ops in Dallas many years ago .. He told us that something like 50% of his WLS patients who ended up experiencing major regain of their EW were dead w/i a year (or maybe it was two) following the regain .. His theory was that the body's major organs just cannot handle the strain on them associated with having the extra weight put back on, being akin to a person who was never obese suddenly putting on that much weight in that short of time. However, in the case of regain, the organs are already weakened from having had to carry that much extra weight for so long beforehand ..

https://people.com/health/my-600-lb-life-sean-milliken-dead/

Batwingsman
on 2/19/19 7:49 pm
Topic: RE: "Passing of Vita-Lady"

Don also included this obituary for Michelle (her photo didn't cut and paste here, for some reason, btw):

Michelle Anne Curran, 69, passed into the arms of our creator on 2/16 at 10:05 PM at Good Samaritan Hospital in Puyallup, WA. At her side were her husband Don and son Ben.

Michelle, born 10/15/49 in Vallejo, CA the only child of William and Jeanne McClelland. She is survived by her husband, Don, son's Donovan and Ben Read, step children Kristopher and Michelle Curran, 3 grand and 5 step grandchildren and 1 great grandchild.

She was the founder and president of Vitalady, Inc. providing support, information and encouragement to those having and seeking bariatric (weight loss) surgery.

In lieu of flowers, it is requested you donate to Cascade Animal Protection Shelter, Sumner, WA or other not for profit animal shelter in her name.

A memorial service will be held at Hill Funeral Home 217 E Pioneer Puyallup, WA 98372 (253) 845-1172 on Monday 2/25 at 2:00.

Batwingsman
on 2/19/19 7:41 pm, edited 2/19/19 8:02 pm
Topic: RE: "Passing of Vita-Lady"

(cross-posted from the general forum)

Just received this incredibly sad and stunning news of Michelle's sudden passing from her husband Don ("Vita-Guy"), via group email to the VL community .. Please keep him in your prayers, fellas ..

I am sending this to Michelle's old friends and people most important to her. She died due to an infection in her lungs which could not be controlled. I hope you will all remember her for the love she shared with the bariatric community. It is our intention to continue her mission at Vitalady. Don C * * * * *

Batwingsman
on 8/13/18 6:43 am, edited 8/13/18 6:46 am
Topic: RE: "My 600-Lb. Life" Star James ?L.B.? Bonner Found Dead

Wow .. this is stunning and so tragic .. To lose all that weight only to then commit suicide .. He mentioned "confronting demons" in his last FB post, so I guess it was something other than his weight at issue ..

https://www.aol.com/article/entertainment/2018/08/08/my-600- lb-life-star-lb-bonners-cause-of-death-revealed/23498629/

Batwingsman
on 6/11/18 11:22 am, edited 6/11/18 11:23 am
Topic: RE: "A.G.T. 2008 Winner Neal Boyd Dead at 42"

Very sad .. Too bad he didn't opt for WLS during his life, but then maybe he figured if he lost a lot of weight it might adversely affect his singing voice:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/06/11/americas-got -talent-winner-neal-boyd-dead-at-42.html

Batwingsman
on 1/12/18 2:05 pm, edited 1/12/18 6:06 am
Topic: RE: Skinny guy problems

Get a big(er) wife (?)

Seriously, the only thing I can think of here might be a weight belt like SCUBA divers use? I don't know how much weight is on them, though, since I'm not one ...

Batwingsman
on 1/12/18 6:11 am, edited 1/12/18 2:02 pm
Topic: RE: 2 Guys - "From Obese to Model" (The Dr.s)

Batwingsman
on 12/11/17 12:02 pm
Topic: RE: "World's Heaviest Man Has Second WLS"

Looks like he is doing great in his journey. Not sure what his first WLS was, but it sounds like his second one was a DS done lap.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/juan-pedro-franco-onetime-wo rlds-heaviest-man-has-second-surgery-in-mexico-1779367

Batwingsman
on 5/11/17 8:33 am
Topic: RE: Anybody had any experience w/ ED or lowered sex drive after surgery?

k. I would go ahead and talk to another lap WLS surgeon, if possible, or at least a lap gastroenterologist that is familiar with WLS and ask if it is possible your surgeon might have damaged a nerve or blood vessel during the procedure that is causing the issue.

Batwingsman
on 4/22/17 7:28 pm, edited 4/22/17 12:29 pm
Topic: RE: Anybody had any experience w/ ED or lowered sex drive after surgery?

Was your surgery done open or lap? I'm wondering if some blood vessel or nerve in there might have been damaged during the surgery ..

Batwingsman
on 6/28/16 3:30 pm, edited 6/28/16 4:42 pm
Topic: RE: Ron "Varsity Blues" Lester's Passing

Saw this in the OH Newsletter today, and just don't know what to say ..

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/in-loving-memory-of-ron- lester

I got to hear Ron speak at the OH Nat. Conf. and his story - about his weight struggles and post-op struggles with excess skin (which cost him a new g/f and which, in turn, almost caused him to commit suicide) ..  I just can't believe this happened, and he was only 45, on top of it ..  Was his WLS somehow responsible for it?  Did he go through all that just for nothing?   I just don't understand it ..       

Batwingsman
on 3/15/16 11:09 am
Topic: RE: "'Extreme Weight Loss' Star Dies at 52"

Hi Don!         LTNS, and thanks ..   Hope you are doing well ..   I do try to peek in once in awhile, mainly to post interesting articles I run across regarding WLS or weight loss in general.  Wow, doesn't look like the forum is as active anymore like it was back in our earlier days.    

Batwingsman
on 3/14/16 9:36 pm, edited 3/14/16 9:37 pm
Topic: RE: "'Extreme Weight Loss' Star Dies at 52"

Wow, I remember watching this dude on T.V.  He looked fantastic after his 180 lb. weight loss.  No mention of what he died of.  So sad to make it through the journey and still have life cut short.  

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/03/14/extreme-weight-loss-contestant-rod-durham-dies-at-52/21327624/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl15%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D-1520960834_htmlws-main-bb#confab-comment-27821020

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 28 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 28 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 64 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 86 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 96 views