Three Month DS Surgiversary! (long)

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/12 11:43 pm - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12
Pat, I  have followed your posts for some time now and I hope you know how much your information and expertise is appreciated.

I am sure somewhere way back when you explained way DS was your surgery of choice. Could you please explain again or direct me to the post where you explained.

Thanks so much for all of your contributions

Congratulations on your success so far. 
PatXYZ
on 6/9/12 10:47 am
Hi Debra,

I chose the DS for a variety of reasons. I have a history of serious anemia and anemia is extremely common post-RNY (it happens to a majority of menstruating women) so this was a serious concern for me. I also have a foot and knee injury, as well as migraines that I treat with NSAIDs, which you can't take after RNY. These ruled out RNY for me. At age 26 I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic, I have 2 diabetic parents and 3 diabetic grandparents. I have also taken a medication for a long time and may continue to need it in the future, to help prevent migraines and IBS symptoms, that causes weight gain as a side-effect. These two concerns, plus the fact that I have never been a successful dieter, indicated to me that I needed a metabolically active surgery, and that the VSG would not be 'enough' for me to be successful in the long-term (and as I'm only 28, I'm very concerned about the LONG term!).

After doing research, I also learned about how with the DS I would not experience dumping, reactive hypoglycaemia, and that diabetes is not likely to recur the way it does for many years after their RNY surgery - these issues clinched it for me that the DS was absolutely the right surgery for me and that I was so sure of this that I was willing to go to Montreal and pay for it if Dr. Hong didn't agree with me. I presented my arguments to Dr. Hong and in the end he agreed with me. In the past the DS had been reserved for people with BMIs over 50 only, but recent research indicates that there is no reason to restrict it (the fear had been about malnutrition, but that has been found to be only a tiny risk of 1.5% for those with BMIs under 50 at the time of surgery) and Dr. Hong wasn't concerned about my relatively low BMI of 43 before optifast, so we went ahead! I'm so, so happy with how everything turned out.

If you're interested in more info or you have any questions, please feel free to send me a PM. I also always recommend the website www.dsfacts.com to people for excellent information about the DS.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
(deactivated member)
on 6/9/12 11:07 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12
Pat thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question. I fully intend to check out this web site. I have osteoarthritis and so far have been using naproxen and Tylenol#3 for pain. I hope to have a hip(s) replacement after WLS but I am sure that I will still need some NSAIDs for pain management for the remaining joints.  Thanks so much Deb
Cheryl D.
on 6/9/12 2:32 am - Toronto, Canada
Hey Trish :)

First of all I'm so glad you're feeling better and getting well. I know you will be successful in this.

You have long been one of my most favourite people on this forum, controversial or not.  I love reading your posts.  You have educated yourself about all aspects of weight loss surgery and have shared your knowlege with all of us.  I consider you to be one of the best resources on this forum for your knowlege and willingness to share it, sometimes in the face of controversy.  I hope you will continue!

I'm pretty sure I once sent you a PM saying pretty much the same thing, but in case I just dreamed that,  here it is! 

I don't post  a lot, but I do read, and I always read you!

All the best to you,
Cheryl

No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.

PatXYZ
on 6/9/12 10:50 am
Cheryl, you are too kind. Your words touch me, thank you. Comments like this remind me of why I keep coming back, despite whatever else happens!

All the best and continued success to you too!
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Blu-Diva
on 6/9/12 9:35 am - Hamilton, Canada
 Congrats

Surgery date May 7 / 2012
Highest 312 lbs - Pre Op 297lbs - now 199 lbs
I know now that my location was never my destination.

Blu-Diva      

Most Active
Recent Topics