Humiliation....Your Experiences?

gonna_B_thinner
on 10/16/13 11:05 pm

I have had humiliating situations as well, I to have been over weight for all my life.  When in my early 20's while at work someone once asked me if I was pregnant when I wasn't.  I happened to have a long top on and I guess it wasn't very flattering.  I never wore that again.  The part that hurt the most is that at the time she asked me that was when I was at my lowest adult weight ever.  Then again about a year ago I was outside in my backyard while my nieghbour was having a party I heard someone yell over "Hey are you pregnant? when are you due?"   I know that was directed at me cause they where looking right over at me.  I went in the house so I didn't have to deal with that _itch.  I have been picked on all my life and am so sick of it.  I have lost weight but like others it is up and down up and down.  I am so ready for a change.  I look at the before and after photos and see others who are about where I am now and they are down to 140-170 lbs.  I can't even imagine that I will get that low. 

hmtmomof4
on 10/16/13 11:35 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/13

I agree, the way society treats obese people needs to stop....they have NO IDEA how damaging and hurtful it is.

Perhaps not an embarassing experience, but one that will haunt me for life...

When I was pregnant with my first baby in 2007 (a little girl).  I stood up one night at 24 weeks pregnant and my water broke...completely out of the blue.  We rushed to the hospital (Burlington) and I had to be air lifted to Kingston as they were the only hospital that a bed in the NICU for the baby.  She only survived a few days after birth because she was sooo tiny and sooo sick.   had developed an infection in the amniotic fluid that almost took my life as well.  I went into Sepsis and my organs were shutting down.  It was the worst experience of my LIFE and I never wish that on my worst enemy. No Mama should have to have a funeral for their child.

A few months later when trying to get pregnant again I had a doctor tell me that this all hapened because I was overweight (I was around 270 at the time).  Whether he is right or not, we will never know, but I will carry that GUILT the rest of my life!!! Everyday I think about how my daughter died because of me.  It's not a good feeling!

Opti shake #1 went down with no problems....I cannot wait for this journey!! I'm SOOO READY FOR THIS!!!

Just for ONE DAY, I wish skinny and ignorant people could walk in my shoes....just ONE DAY!  I'm sure it would change their way of thinking.  Every step I take is full of pain.  I've torn ligaments in my feet because of my weight.  I cannot wait to be pain free and run with my children!!  Next year we are going back to Wonderland and I WILL ride those rides with my kids!!!

Referral Sent: Jan. 2013, Orientation: Mar. 2013, Social Worker: Jun. 2013 Nurse: Jul. 2013, Nutrition Class: Aug. 2013, Dietician: Aug. 2013, Psych: Aug 2013  Surgeon: Oct. 2013, PATTS: Nov. 2013 SURGERY: Nov. 7th 2013!!!

Amarachi
on 10/18/13 12:39 am - Canada
Your message is heart breaking, and I. want you to know that the Doctor was an a*#, although being heavier during pregnancy carries more risk for both mom and baby it was the infection that caused PROM (premature rupture of membranes) not your weight.

I have six children and delivered 5 of my children to term being obese, my last two I weighed 315 - 325 when I delivered.

Hugs and know that you were not responsible for your Angels passing.

J
ladyjane71
on 10/16/13 11:37 pm - Canada
My humiliation in life came from my father. As a teenager (I am 41 now) he would tell me that I would never have any friends. I would never find a husband. He actually sang the "fatty fatty 2 by 4 cant get through the bathroom door" song to me. Maybe the kids in school did make fun of me, I will never know. I didnt hear them. I did find the man of my dreams. We have been married 5 years and he loves me for me. I chose to have the surgery for me, to get healthy. The rest of the world can kiss my ever shrinking butt.
2by4
on 10/18/13 7:59 am

We must have the same father!

VBG: Dr. Abawi (Bowmanville) Jun-2004.   Weight Loss:  237 ⬇ 164 = 73 pounds loss in first year.
Bariatric Network Registry:  19-Aug-2011                               Orientation at HRRH:  17-Aug-2012
Consult with Dr. Hagen (HRRH): 29-Aug-2012              Doctor ordered Gastroscopy:  10-Oct-2012
Meetings with  Nurse,  Vampire,  Registered Dietician  and  Social Worker  (HRRH):  24-Oct-2012
Consult with Internist Dr Glazer:  29-Oct-2012          Ordered Cardiac Ultrasound 12-Nov-2012
Met with Dr. Hagen: 12-Nov-2012    Surgery date 19-Feb-2013     (07- Jan-2013 date revised)
Pre-Admission Tests:  10-Jan-2013     Started OptiFast: 14-Jan-2013     Starting Weight:  233
Conversion Surgery VBG ➜ RnY with Dr. Hagen:  28-Jan-2013          Weight day of Surgery:  216

Mandalious
on 10/17/13 2:57 am - Canada
RNY on 12/03/13

I hate the looks

The looks from ppl everywhere, the pitty looks, the disgust looks, the WTF looks.

I hate the silently being judged.

When young children look at you and some time ask why are you so fat!. What do you say.... I just walk away and try not to cry.

I want to be able to blend into a crowd to be stand out cause I look FREAKING amazing.. but no longer cause some ppl thnk I belong in a freak show.

Referral May 17 '13 / Orientation June 17 '13 / Meeting w Dr Hagen June 26 '13 / RN,RD,SW July 31 '13 / Dr.Glazer Sept 3 '13/ Sleep Study Sept 5 '13 /2nd app w Dr Hagen Sept 16 '13 / F/U w  Dr Glazer  Sept 23 '13 / PRATTS Nov 14 '13/ Surgery Dec 3rd '13

sarshe62
on 10/18/13 11:39 am

Very excited to hear that your date is tomorrow.   You are so right...people can be so cruel.   The really great news is that you are being given a chance to change, where as all of those haters are going to live with their meaness the rest of their lives.  You are better than this and you should be very proud of you decision.  Best of luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics