BMI too low for surgery?

Solstice
on 4/25/14 10:42 pm
RNY on 11/27/14

There is a great program called "Craving Change". It is like a franchise, and it is run at Guelph. I have also found it at my local Medical Clinic. It is a 4-6 week program, and addresses issues we have with food. Look it up and see if you can find any local groups. Try calling larger medical clinics to see if they know about it, or can refer or contact them:

http://www.cravingchange.ca/

Solstice

ladydt
on 4/25/14 2:26 am

You are not alone....I met with my surgeon and he weighed me, asked a lot of questions and at the end of the appointment said he would see me again after all of my other appointments to set up a date....my BMI was below 40. At that point in the game I started to consciously watch my eating and reduce the refined foods...I had already given up pop by that time, which was challenging but proud of myself for doing so.  Between the surgeons appointment and my next round of appointments - I did lose about 8 pounds....THEN I  had my appointments with the RN/SW/ and the Dietician all on the same day.  Nurse was wonderful...was excited for me, then came the dietician and Social Worker.

The dietician was far from friendly to say the least....she made me feel like I was wasting her time.  When she started reviewing my weight, my height, my BMI which was 38. something and asked if I had any co-morbidities which I quietly said no to...she bluntly looked at me and asked me what I was doing there?  Why would I want surgery to change something that I can change myself? She lectured me about the entire lifestyle change that I would have to make etc etc etc. 

I was dumbfounded and felt horrible....she sent me away with homework and said she would see me in 6 weeks.....at that point I thought OMG my life is in her hands....

A few days later, I came to a realization that my life is in my hands....and I must take control.  I can lose the weight and the surgery is only a fast track of doing so, as I am blessed with no other issues.  I am proceeding with my homework, would love to have the surgery, and I will go back for my next appointment.  But at the same time the dietician was correct, I can do this myself and with no co-morbidities they are many other people who need this far more than I do.

Good Luck with you journey

Lisa167
on 4/25/14 4:20 am
VSG on 08/14/14

To be so close...seems like they'd be splitting hairs not to say you qualify.

My weight can fluctuate 5 lbs in a day.  I'm very sensitive to salt/sodium.  It's extremely frustrating.  I'm not a saltaholic either. Is there anything with you that does this?  I'm not suggesting you put on weight, but I certainly know what makes me retain.  Do you know what triggers you?

Most Active
Recent Topics