Memory and eyesight....going, going, gone!

MillieJ
on 10/6/09 11:10 pm
Darlene,

Once again you come up with wonderful information.  I asked Mom to have her doctor give her B12 shots for energy.  She says it helps.

Mom has always suffered from thyroid defiecency, anemia and diabetes.  This is good info to pass on.

Thanks    Millie

PS  how are you doing on finding an outfit to wear?  Have you found something yet?
Darlene
on 10/7/09 12:05 am
no....:(
Women are angels.
...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick.

We are flexible.

Darlene

Karen S.
on 10/7/09 1:39 am - Wailuku, HI
Aloha and thank you so much, Darlene, for your wisdom. I am going to go up to one B-12 sublingual a day. I was doing that a couple years ago, but my blood work showed that I had way over what was normal, so I cut back to three a week. I'm due for blood work pretty soon because I'm coming up on 3.5 years and will be seeing doc probably in January.

Your research is much appreciated....not just by me, but by many others I'm sure who you've given things to think about in changing their diets, supplements, etc.

Aloha nui loa,

Maui Karen

Eileen Briesch
on 10/6/09 12:53 pm - Evansville, IN
Yeah, I'd up the B12. A friend of mine, who's a nurse and did not have WLS (but advised me to have it ... she didn't need it, never did) was recently diagnosed with pernicious anemia, Lyme disease and low thyroid. She wa**** hard and was a very active person before this with two little kids (she's our age but started having babies late ... she has an 11-year-old and a 7-year-old). (she's 53).

I have to bump the type on the computer up to 24 pt. and wear my bifocals to see ... and I didn't need glasses for anything but reading until I hit my 40s. Now, my eyesight is going downhill fast. (although eye doc said it hadn't changed much since the last time and only minor corrections in my glasses).

But yeah, get onto the B12 ... I did that when I heard I had peripheral neuropathy, but I think that might be due to the compressed discs in my back as well.

Eileen Briesch

lap rny 6-29-04

[email protected]

Karen S.
on 10/7/09 1:42 am - Wailuku, HI
Thanks, Eileen........B12 has been mentioned by so many that I think that is the first thing I'm going to try.

The eyesight thing is recent. A couple of years ago, my eye doc could get to to 20/20 and perfectly clear up close vision. Now, both are uncorrectable to clear........! My brother had the surgery and said suddenly colors were vivid again, and not yellowish. He LOVES his result, but still wears reading glasses.

Aloha nui loa,

Maui Karen

George T.
on 10/7/09 7:20 pm, edited 10/7/09 7:21 pm - Grand Prairie, TX
Good deal.... as long as you remember it.  (I am so terrible)

Hope it works out for you.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!                   

Karen S.
on 10/8/09 1:40 am - Wailuku, HI
Ha George!! I am sorta crazy about my supplements. I keep two weeks worth in the weekly doses boxes in footstool by my couch and so I usually remember to take them all. However, I take SO MANY that I have to take others during the day, too, like fish oil, joint stuff, etc. which I often forget because they aren't in my little boxes.

You better take your vitamins.....or a little Hawaiian menehune will come and tickle your feet at the most embarrassing times!!

Aloha nui loa,

Maui Karen

George T.
on 10/8/09 3:12 pm, edited 10/8/09 3:12 pm - Grand Prairie, TX
I have two medications I am on.  One for my prostate and the other is Prilosec.  Then I take 2 Calcium Citrate and 2 Centrum Silver vitamins.  Plus B-12 sublingual once a week.

I do pretty good at taking them.  I normally miss one or two calcium tablets a month.  And maybe once every 3 months I miss my regular meds.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!                   

(deactivated member)
on 10/6/09 2:40 pm
Um, I hate to point this out, but this is a board for people over 50 and these problems are kind a sign for the age. Menopause takes time and it causes a great many changes. Memory is one big problem. I started on estrogen replacement 18 months ago because I had my ovaries removed at age 50. The women in my family generally go through menopause about 53. I am 52 now and I was having terrific problems with my memory. It was not just finding myself in a room and wondering what I was doing there, it was not remembering what I was talking about, not knowing my phone number or address (I have moved over 40 times in my life so this is really not a big one.) I was afraid I was getting Alzheimer's it was so bad. I say my gyn and found out that is one of the side effects of HRT (hormone replacement therapy). Who knew! I could have been told and just forgot. LOL So, now I am decreasing my estrogen and other problems are arising, irritability, anger, depression, hot flashes, vision changes. I also have a caterac in one of my eyes.
Yes, low weight can have many negative effects but so can aging. I hope you find your answer and it is easy to fix.
Good luck and keep an open mind
Darlene
on 10/6/09 10:21 pm
You will find if you travel the forums here on OH that these are not just for the over 50 after WLS. The young ones are having same problems....

Women are angels.
...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick.

We are flexible.

Darlene

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 380 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1178 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1184 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1123 views