You'll never believe why they cancelled my surgery!

Melissa M.
on 3/17/09 2:55 am - Seabrook, TX
I did pay the surgeon at my pre-op appt a week ago but was told I could pay the hospital and anesthesiologist the day of surgery since the surgeon's fee is separate from theirs.   I am definitely going to tell him and the ladies at the hospital that they need to REQUIRE that people pay for their surgery fees well before the day of surgery. 

What a shame.  This all could have been avoided easily.
Brandi7920
on 3/17/09 2:53 am - Nashville, TN

Wow that is SO CRAPPY!!! I'm so sorry that you had to go through that. :(

I have to pay my PS and anesthesiologist fees 2 weeks in advance of my surgery and pay the hospital the day of admission. I guess I'll be bringing cash to the hospital. lol

I wish I could give you a big hug and I sincerely hope that they can you back on the schedule soon.

RNY 02/16/04
LBL, MTL, Lipo 06/04/09
351lb to 170lb
Melissa M.
on 3/17/09 2:57 am - Seabrook, TX
It's all cash from now on!!!  With my luck, I'd bring cash and someone will say we only take money orders!  LOL
shoegirl1023
on 3/17/09 3:18 am - Solon, OH
I suggest that once you know your rescheduled date, which I hope is very very soon, you insist on paying well before to avoid this happening again.  Do you work, if so, has your time off gotten screwed up?

Take care and hopefully this will soon be all behind you.

hugs

JOANNE 
OH Support Group Leader
My local support group meets the 2nd Tuesday of each month - please message me for further information

We are on a continuous journey without a destination

Melissa M.
on 3/17/09 3:36 am - Seabrook, TX
Yes yes yes!  I only told 2 people in my office and no one else.  I sent an email to everyone telling them I would be out for 4-6 weeks with a list of who would be covering certain tasks.  I sent the email when they all left on Friday so I wouldn't be bombarded with questions while I was there.  They don't know why I'm out so if I go back to work and then leave again, then they'll really wonder what's going on and ask even more questions.  I just didn't want to deal with that.  I also had to get special permission to be out and borrow some advanced sick leave, so yes it screws that up too.  I work for the Government so that in itself is red tape.  UGH!
happy girl
on 3/17/09 3:13 am
Oh melissa, i am so sorry.  (((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

Danielle H.
on 3/17/09 3:29 am - Atlanta, GA
Oh my gosh that is really horrible!  Call you PS right now and get the first available date - see if they will have mercy on you and work you in this week at least....

Sometimes banks are just overprotective, and even with credit I call in advance to warn them now if I'm going to make a big purchase - too much theft and credit crap out there and that makes them paranoid and stops our lives!

I'm so sorry and hope it can be worked out soon for your sake!  Please let us know when its rescheduled.

High Weight 260, Surgery Weight 218,  Lowest Weight 156, CURRENT WEIGHT 177, Goal Weight 140

Breast Lift /Back Lipo 10/2008
LBL (Belt Lipectomy with Fluer de lis cut TT) 2/27/09
www.advancedobesitysurgery.com (Dr. Dennis Smith)
www.gaplasticsurgery.com (Dr. Sheldon Lincenberg)

thegraduate120
on 3/17/09 3:29 am
OMG, what a nightmare.   I can hardly imagine how hard it would be to be all ready to go and then have it cancelled this way.

I had surgery at a surgery center downstairs from my surgeon's office.   They also took payment when I arrived to have surgery.  I had put the surgeon's fees separately on my CareCredit account but the facility and anesthesiologist wouldn't accept it and I put those two charges on my card. 

As it happened, I had had some fraudulent activity a few weeks earlier and had a hold put on the account and while they were clearing that up I asked if there would be a problem with a large charge to the surgery center and that was when they told me that I had to specially authorize a charge that large anyway (it was over $5000 for facility plus anesthesiologist in my case).    Even so I never thought about what would happen if they declined it when I was there waiting for surgery.

These are definitely things that need to be added to the OH big list of things to prepare for surgery.  

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise to give you time to think about the procedures - did you want the change from LBL to just an abdominoplasty?   It sounds like that change was made at the last minute.   

Anyway, you deserve a day curled up under the blanket or treat yourself to something else.  I hope things get rescheduled soon. 

Take care - Alison

DEBI R.
on 3/17/09 4:26 am - CORSICANA, TX
Melissa,
I'm so sorry that happened to you, I hope they can reschedule your surgery for this week at least. I will keep you in my prayers. Debi

____debi__________200.jpg image by tunie_2006 item11.jpg image by tunie_2006      

minuature pinscher 

pinky0624
on 3/17/09 5:18 am - Damariscotta, ME
everything happens for a reason. although this sucks something wasn't right for you to have your surgery today. with that said, make sure you have a paper trail with your payment. don't pay cash. somehow they will screw that up. use a money order. that way you will have a receipt or see if the bank can raise the limit for this one transaction. i'm sure if you notify them the amount and to who they can accept it. good luck and hang in there.

Lisa
Highest-232.5  Surgery Day 2/18/08 - 215  Today-197  Goal-150
Sadly gained after 2 years out!  Working hard to get it off! 
Goal 150 with tummy tuck and thigh lift to follow!

Most Active