PCOS & WLS

Bundlina
on 9/22/14 6:29 am

My sleeve will be on 10/9.  I can't wait just to be smaller.  Unfortunately my experience has taught me that losing weight will not make my excess hair go.

Jay D.
on 9/22/14 7:39 am

Try laser hair removal!  So far it's worked for me--I'm 3 treatments in, which is about 6 mos

DelilahJO
on 9/22/14 4:24 am

I was in the exact same boat. First of all it does get better! I know everyone's situation is different. For me I was on metformin for type 2 diabetes and to treat my pcos symptoms. I did fertility meds to have my 2 children. My youngest will be 3 in November. My doctors recommended having my children before wls. I guess the fear or potential for relapse if you will that once you become pregnant you will gain a lot of weight again and have to lose it again. I had my sleeve done in May this year. My periods have been monthly since my surgery however in now way are they lighter. Perhaps when I am further out from my surgery it will get better? My excess hair also hasn't subsided any :( yet I am hoping maybe later it will. I am no longer on metformin. And I can't speak for everyone with the birth control issues as I had my tubal ligation done when my baby was born. I know pcos plays a big factor in getting pregnant and not to be invasive, but has your spouse been checked as well? TMI but my husband had a low sperm count so combined with my severe pcos it was a tough row to hoe. Having my surgery has completely changed my life and I don't question my choice for one second! I wish u well and it will all work out :) 

Jay D.
on 9/22/14 5:48 am

Congratulations on 2 babies AND losing weight--life has defo sorted itself out for you!  Your story is inspiring & comforting to me.  If it's in your budget, you should defo consider the laser hair removal.  The technology has vastly improved over the last few years & it really does work.  It has helped improve my self esteem tons!

Hubby's never been checked out because we never progressed beyond clomid & metformin.  We started looking into IUI, but since my insurance doesn't cover it we stopped right there.  The other part that I probably should have spoken up about but was always in the back of my mind was, "if I'm already this weight and then put on ANY baby weight, it would be so uncomfortable."  Nevermind the increased chance of gestational diabetes, and the fact that if I'm unhealthy what kind of mother could I ever hope to be by setting such a poor example. 

If things go as planned, I should be getting sleeved in March at the latest!  Children may or may not be in our future; we are okay either way, but something inside of me would always be sad at missing the opportunity to be a Mother because of my addiction to food

DelilahJO
on 9/23/14 5:34 am

I do know how you feel! Being so heavy i didnt even realize how miserable as a mother I was! We took our kids to the zoo a couple mo ago and walking and playing with them was sooo much easier, I wasn't exhausted at the end of the day either. Once my oldest started school i felt even worse. I didn't want to be an embarrassment to her. Since having my surgery and changing our entire families diets. My husband and i both feel better! He has struggled with weight as well. We truly hope the changes we are making will help our daughters to never have to suffer with such an issue. 

teacherford
on 9/22/14 5:09 am
RNY on 06/09/14

I was skinny, had pcps issues when I started my cycles at 13, and it was as an adult that the weight just kept creeping up. Research just came out saying birth control is the worst thing they can do for pcos, especially insulin resistant PCOS. We are also trying to have children. I had bypass as it works better for insulin resistant PCOS. 3 weeks after surgery I was off all meds and no signs of PCOS. Although I still ended up with a cyst this last cycle, but my Dr thinks it is because the body is still trying to figure out how to work properly after years of not working. So I have ovulated the two cycles after the surgery, and I think I did this week too. So my body is working properly now. You have to do what is best for you.

HW: 322.8 SW: 305.3 RNY 6/9/14. Preop Loss: -17.5 M1: -22.4 W5: -4.5  W6: -1.6 W7: -4.7 W8: -3.3 M2: -14.1 W9: -2.8 W10: -3.7 W11: -2.9 W12: -3.1 M3: -12.5 W13: -6.1 W14: -3.2 W15: -3 W16: -2.5 M4:-14.8 W17: -4.2 W18:-4.5 W19:-3.6 W20: -0 M5: -12.3 W21:-.5 W22: -4.5 W23:-9 W24: -3.4 M6:-17.4 W25:-2

linison
on 9/22/14 5:21 am
VSG on 10/13/14 with

I am similar to you, except I've always been heavy. My primary motivation for this surgery (I'm getting VSG on 10/13) is that losing the excess weight is the one thing *I* can do to help my body regulate and get rid of the pesky PCOS symptoms I've been dealing with since puberty.  I was diagnosed in January, after my husband and I sought fertility help since we hadn't been able to get pregnant in 14 months of trying.  After 6 rounds of Clomid and Metformin and two very early miscarriages, we decided to try this while we let my ovaries take a break.  

I lost weight on my own (about 100 lbs) six years ago, but since my hormones seemed to turn a corner at 25 when I grew my lady beard and started breaking out and losing hair more, all that weight has come back and brought friends with it.  Even 100 lbs lighter my cycles weren't exactly regular, but they were more reliable than at my current weight.  

Best of luck to both of us.  I chose the VSG because it seems like the best option for my goals.  I know I want to get pregnant, I know I want to eat "normally" (only in smaller portions and protein and veggie forward), and it seemed like the best option for me.  

Jay D.
on 9/22/14 5:54 am

Your surgery date is so close!!!!  You must be excited  I agree with you about yours & my motivation for having surgery...hopefully your PCOS calms down & you're able to have babies!  Did your surgeon tell you to wait 12-18 mos before getting pregnant?  Mine recommended getting an IUD immediately.  Keep me updated on your progress please!  Good luck to you!   

linison
on 9/22/14 8:18 am
VSG on 10/13/14 with

My surgeon wants me to wait at least 6 months, most likely 12-18, but we'll play it by ear once the weight loss stabilizes. 

I had an IUD for two years before we started trying to get pregnant. I think I'm going to stick with pills since the goal is that it will be relatively short term this time. 

I I hope it works out for both of us! Do you have a date yet?

ashleyyy
on 10/10/14 6:21 am

My dr recommended 18-24 months! :( 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1056 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 3008 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3616 views