How much Biotin do you take?

DeannaKaz
on 11/15/10 1:50 am
Hi everyone. I've never posted a question here but I enjoy and really appreciate everyone's questions and responses.  My question today is about biotin. My NUT recommeded I take 500 mcg a day to help with hair loss since I'm a little "shy" of getting all my protien in everyday. When I went to the nutrition store, they only sold it in 600 mcg and 5,000 mcg-I got the 5,000.  Now I'm concerned it is too much.

How much do you take? Have you noticed results? Does hair grow in "unwanted areas"? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you all again for your daily support! 

Deanna
cptprkchp
on 11/15/10 1:59 am
I have been taking 5000 mcg of Biotin for about 3.5 years now and I have not experienced the "unwanted" side effects.  I can say that my hair grows like a weed and my nails are very hard now.  Good luck to you!!
SLIMPRGIRL
on 11/16/10 12:17 am
Hi  I don't want anything.  Just to tell you. you are so pretty!    
SLIMPRGIRL
on 11/16/10 12:19 am
oops! My last post was for  cptprkchp  
Rebecca G.
on 11/15/10 2:29 am - Wilmington, NC
I take 500mcg every morning and I haven't had any side effects!

navymom13760
on 11/15/10 2:40 am - Endicott, NY
I take 10,000 mcg and have no side effects.  Well, except for rapid hair regrowth and nails that grow like crazy now.  lol

I am perfectly content being perfectly UN-perfect

Start Weight 292/Surgical Weight 266/Current Weight 150

JudiJudi T
on 11/15/10 3:04 am
 Biotin helps with regrowth .. it won't stop the hair loss.   The trauma of rapid weight loss and surgery pushes up to 30% of your hair into the telogen phase (normally only 10% of your hair is in this cycle).   What's dead is dead.  :)   

[edit]Telogen phase

The telogen phase is the resting phase of the hair follicle.[8] The club hair is the final product of a hair follicle in the telogen stage, and is a dead, fully keratinized hair.[4] Fifty to one-hundred club hairs are shed daily from a normal scalp.[4]

[edit]Hair growth cycle times

• Scalp: The time these phases last varies from person to person. Different hair colour and follicle shape affects the timings of these phases.
    • anagen phase, 2–3 years ****asionally much longer)
    • catagen phase, 2–3 weeks
    • telogen phase, around 3 months

Before/after pic in my profile.  
Surgery: Dec 2009, lost 100 lbs

allvalerie
on 11/15/10 3:53 am - Seward, AK
I do the 5,000 mcg too-

I haven't noticed it helping much except my leg hair grows faster lol 

But I have long hair so not sure I would really notice the hair on my head growing or not. Doesn't seem to help my nails at all.

My mom also does 5,000 and doesn't seem help her hair at all but her nails grow fast and stronger then before.

Valerie
Karen M.
on 11/15/10 3:56 am - San Antonio, TX
I am taking 5000 mcg with no side effects. My nails are getting stronger for the first time in my life and the hair is slowly growing back -- looks like little spikes.

A friend who lost her hair during chemotherapy for breast cancer told me that hair loss can change the shape of the follicle and if you had straight hair, it will return curly or wavy and vice versa. My hair has gone from wavy to curly/kinky over the past 20 years but I don't know if/how the hair growing in will look.

HW 350 (8/06) /Consult W (12/09) 319 /SW 300 /CW 215.9/ GW 170

Its_Bea_baby
on 11/15/10 4:19 am - CA
Hello...I take 1,000mcg of biotin.  This helps with my thin hair.  I have never had any problems with side effects.  Biotin is a water soluble vitamin so our bodies excrete it out on a daily basis.  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 461 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views