Four days and a wake up

ANNI D.
on 5/7/11 12:51 pm
Girl, don't worry, everybody gets nervous and/or anxious, when they are about to have surgery. You just have to learn to focus that nervous/anxious energy into something productive or all you'll do is sit and stew!!! For example, mine was nervous and anxious excitement. My surgery couldn't get here fast enough. I knew either this was my big chance to take control of my body and change my life or die. If I died on the table or died from being fat and miserable, at least I was brave enough to get on that table and "fight" for it!!

Anyway, I gave myself "missions." For one, I went to all the bariatric food and supplement sites and tracked down the manufacturer of each protein powder, protein bar, vitamins, gas products, etc and started e-mailing and calling all these companies to see how much free stuff I could get!! I spent hours and days doing this and it focused my energy into A LOT of free stuff. I didn't have to buy hardly anything, which was a bonus since I'm disabled and poor!!

Lastly, the people who try to offer you advise are usually people who have already been through it and know better or someone who has been researching for their own benefit. You HAVE to be your own advocate for your health. Some of the things your surgeon tells you ARE wrong. Most surgeons haven't lived the WLS lifestyle, we have, or we are just informed individuals with real valuable information. If your surgeon told you to take Flintstone vitamins after surgery, would you? I certainly hope not. There are actually some surgeons and nuts that tell patients to do that, still. Let's just say that Flintstones, as a post-op vitamin, has "gone out with the dinosaurs," pardon the pun!!!!(TeeHee, I kill me, sometimes) To make this very long story, somewhat shorter...You ABSOLUTELY have to be your own advocate. Do research, ask questions, explore. Lots of times what your surgeon says does not fit every patient. My surgeon told me to start eating everything normally after 1 month. I cannot do that. My new "baby guts" aren't ready. I get lots of solid foods stuck and I'm 2 months out. I still lean towards soft foods. Against my surgeons orders.

So, don't get irritated at the things people are telling you. Soak it all in because one day, in the near future, you just may need that information to help you get through!!!
I only strive to be, the kind of person my dogs think I am!                               

Of the choices we are given, it's no choice at all....
                                             -Patty Griffin

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 360 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 330 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 194 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 115 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?