Feeling like I'm losing my way...

ohioh
on 5/16/11 12:03 pm
RNY on 11/15/10 with
In addition to the cottage cheese, greek yogurt etc...here are some things I ate:

-put ricotta cheese in a small dish...pour some spaghetti sauce and mozz. cheese on it and bake it. YUMMY!  It's like manicotti or stuffed shells without the pasta.
- refried beans with salsa, greek yogurt and cheese mixed in for extra protein..YUM!
-chili (Wendy's or I like Hormel's vegetarian or turkey the best.)  I open a can and split it into little tupperware containers or babyfood jars and freeze it. Then I can just pull out a serving and go.  I add some cheese or greek yogurt to it.

- I personally don't like greek yogurt to just eat, it's too thick for me.  BUT..I LOVE Kroger's carbmaster yogurt so I eat that.  8-12 grams of protein per container ( I can eat a half of a container at once) I mix granola in it.
-pieces of cheese well chewed, string cheese
-egg salad, tuna salad, chicken salad(canned)

These are just a few ideas! 

HW 270  SW 251   1st GW 170    CW 143       2nd GW 150
 1st GOAL REACHED  170  5/23/2011

2nd GOAL REACHED 150 8/8/2011
Amy R.
on 5/16/11 12:00 pm
Just adding my 2 cents.

Try everything/anything you can until you find something you can SOME protein you can keep down. You WILL find some. Trial and error is tedious and I understand that but it is imperative that at this stage in the game you keep your focus on protein.

The problem with the carbs: yes, you can keep them down and yes, you are still losing weight. Right now though you would lose no matter WHAT you eat - you are so early out and malabsorbing to such an extent that you could eat cake and candy all day and lose. But you don't want to set that precedent. Because the malabsorption WILL WEAR OFF. Then you'll be left with a diet consisting mainly of carbs and you will gain weight like nobodys business.

You have to "train" your pouch to accomodate dense proteins. When I first started meats, all I could do was 3 or 4 bites, and that was okay. I slowly worked my way up to eating a serving (more or less). It just took time to work with my pouch so it could acclimate to the denser foods.

I appreciate your dilemma, I just know that if you don't resolve it know while you're in the "honeymoon" period, you're gonna be in a world of hurt later.

Good luck to you in your journey. =)
nfgfaniam
on 5/16/11 12:59 pm - Jeffersonville, IN
refried beans are great, and cheap Ohioh, I am FOR SURE going to try your pasta but not dishs
~Sharon Marie

seattledeb
on 5/16/11 2:59 pm
simple carbs bypass your bypass.

Korlis
on 5/16/11 4:09 pm - CA
Thanks everyone for your responses.

Just want to clarify a few things...I CAN keep down protein shakes and bars pretty well. And with the way I prepare them, I actually REALLY like them ...tastes like a jamba juice smoothie to me! So, that wasn't the issue...the problem is my dr. office wanted me to move away from the shakes to get my pouch to accept more solid foods, but meat is just rough on me.

THANK YOU ALL for helping me refocus though. I was beginning to think "well, this is all I can eat and keep down, I better stick with this..." but you have made me realize that I HAVE to MAKE my pouch take protein foods like meat/fish so I don't rely on the carbs. And it wasn't so much the 'comfort' of the carbs, it was the feeling of "oh wow, I just ate something and I don't feel like I'm gonna die" that I was drawn to.

But I have refocused and I thank you all for the wake up call cuz I truly needed it. Putting away the crackers and am gonna pick up some canned chicken and white fish as soon as I can as well as more protein powders and bars.

I DO NOT want to fail this surgery...do not do not do not!

thank you!!!
Highest Weight: 421
Surgery Weight: 369
Current Weight: 250
dasie
on 5/16/11 10:18 pm
I could not easily eat meat until 8 months at least.  I slowly started trying around 6 months, but it still gave me problems and even now I  do not care for it too much.   As a result,  I ate lots and lots of pinto beans.  They, along with other soft protien choices; became my favorites.  BUT along with the beans, I too began eating too many crackers.  I needed the crunch.  For me personally they came a problem.  I finally "kicked" that habit an do not eat them any longer.   They did affect my food cravings.

dasie
on 5/16/11 10:20 pm
ignore the typos

tdavidson5
on 5/17/11 2:51 am
Like others have suggested, try canned chicken or tuna.  You might try using less seasoning. Fat free mayo, salsa, or fat free salad dressing.  I am just over a year out and in the beginning I could not eat anything (hospitialized five times in the first five months).  The carbs thing is not going to be good for you in the long-run.  During this transition time (pre-op and post-op) it is the best opportunity to break bad habits such as sodas, simple carbs, sugar, etc. Stay positive.  It will get better.
mimilarue
on 5/17/11 1:46 pm
Hey Honey Bee.....sooo sorry you are having a hard time .  It is so super frustrating trying to get in all the proteins some days, but you can do it!!!!  You have lost an amazing amount of weight, and for that you deserve a big hand .  I get 56g of proteins from my shakes everyday, plus another 30t from food.  Doing it just from food has been very difficult for me, so I embrace the shakes.  You HAVE to get in your protein, and I your plan has you keeping away from the shakes, but you have to do what you have to do.  If for now getting the right amount of protein comes largely from the shakes then do it.  Then slowly start adding in softer foods, and meats again.  I know you LOVE seafood, that is a great place to start as far as meats go.  I have no problem with seafood at all and it is so good for you.  I also like:  Babybel cheese, string cheese, EGG DROP SOUP :), re fried beans, Carbmaster yogurt, deli turkey, cottage cheese, Wendy's chili etc....YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

You know I am on FB all the time if you ever want to talk, need food ideas, need some encouragement, or a swift kick in the behind !!!!!!  We are all on this journey together and you are not alone. 

Big hugs - Sarah
 This is a life long journey I am ready to take...bring it on   

241 at first consult
218 day of surgery 

Korlis
on 5/17/11 4:47 pm - CA
hi there!!! thank you so much, you've been a major encouragement these last few weeks and it is awesome to go through this with someone that is on the same path! I'm definetly embracing the shakes and soft foods. I know they wanted me to try to go to solids, but if my pouch isn't accepting it right now then I just have to stick with what will and try again in a few days. In about another week or so I'll get more protein powder and bars and FISH! I actually cannot wait to get some fresh fish and bake/broil it with fresh lemon and herbs...sounds so yummy to me! :D

I think another hard thing for me is drinking water. I hated water before and I still do LOL and with an even smaller pouch it's hard to get all the fluids in. Right now I'm living on some water, but mostly crystal light and propel.

I'm here for you, too!! And thank you again for your encouragement...you rock! :D
Highest Weight: 421
Surgery Weight: 369
Current Weight: 250
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 320 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 299 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 253 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 323 views