What if we don't get enough protein?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/8/11 12:16 pm - OH

I have been trying to get in extra protein since my exploratory surgery last week... tough to do since I don't have much appetite, so I have had to go back to the shakes (which is why I bought the sample kits of the Oh Yeah RTDs).  I still don't like them much (although the Oh Yeah chocolate and the Cytosport Tangerine are fine), but I want to get healed up quickly, so I have been drinking them every day.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Alrica
on 12/28/17 11:02 pm
VSG on 01/09/17

Lora,

It takes time to heal and after surgery, it takes longer.

You can't ru****

AnneGG
on 9/8/11 1:41 pm
Getting protein in early out was a b**** for me, too. My doc and my nutritionist tried everything and all different types of protein shakes on me, and the only one I can still tolerate is BSN Lean Dessert. I recently found Power Pak Protein Pudding with 30 gms protein and 190 calories. Unfortunately it is expensive, but it goes down easily. It comes ready-made in a can.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Massagelady
on 9/8/11 2:41 pm
 You can also get plain unflavored protein and mix it into foods.  For example I've mixed it in with SF pudding, and I'm going to make some SF jello and put it in that too.  You can also mix it with soups. 

I'm definately not in love with protein shakes either! some days they are just vile to me, other days are better.

so I feel ya for sure, good luck!

poet_kelly
on 9/8/11 2:56 pm - OH
Oh yeah, unflavored protein powder can be mixed in all kinds of foods.  I've put it in tons of stuff, including chili, lasagna (mixed it in with the  cheese mixture), mashed potatoes, yogurt, pudding, cream soups, all kinds of stuff.  I found that if I put too much it the texture changed and I didn't like it but I could fit a little in just about anything.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Alrica
on 12/28/17 9:21 pm
VSG on 01/09/17

Premier Protein is very good.

It does not taste like chalk and you can get it at Sam's Club.

They have Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry, Banana.

I think there are other flavors but these are the ones I have seen, bought and drink.

Good luck

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 464 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 439 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?