Ladies only: Mirena vs Paragard

Skinnygirlme
on 3/7/12 4:25 am - UT
RNY on 09/05/12
 I love my Mirena! I had one before, took it out to get preg with my son, then had another one put in after my 8 wk appt. I always had horrible periods. Since the Mirena, I hardly have them anymore! I love it! 
  I believe in me...the best is yet to be!                        
Kim2011
on 3/7/12 5:07 am - NC
That sucks that its not cover it! I don't know how you feel about getting it put in at planned parenthood but it would probably be cheaper there.  I had my mirena put in there (insurance covered mine) and I remember them telling me it would be like $500 or so if I didn't have insurance.

I hated the mirena in the beginning. I had it out in in Jan. I had really bad cramping and bleeding. But I was told this was because I was not on any form of bc in awhile. It just recently started getting better and I just get light spotting here and there. I don't regret it all! I was also worried because I have a nueroligical condition and horomones make it worse. Mirena hasn't really effected it all! I also haven't gained any weight either!

nfarris79
on 3/7/12 6:36 am - Germantown, MD
 I chose Mirena over Paraguard because I had trouble with high copper levels - which is also why I got off the BCP. No full-blown period since insertion, just some spotting. Insertion hurt like HELL, so my lesson learned was take 2 percocets, not just one. But I'm also a wuss.....
I was told that Mirena would not be covered by my insurance more than 30% - but I never got a bill! However, my gyno submitted my Copper levels documentation to prove that Mirena was medically necessary for me. Apparently that worked!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.