Hair loss - Wig anyone?

mskris8199
on 7/4/12 1:54 am
RNY on 03/06/12
I have PCOS and the same family history.  My hair has thinned out a lot since surgery.  I know you didn't really ask this, but I though I would volunteer what helped me with the hair I have left.  (I know the pic doesn't look that thin, but I had to take many pics at lots of angles to get a "good" one. that didn't show too much).  I have started using Nioxin treatment #4.  It has really helped with making my naturally curly hair look fuller and thicker.  I have been taking Biotin as well.  I also recently started Spironolactone for the hair loss.  I don't know how that's going to work yet.  Good luck!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for both of us!
HW: 292 lbs.  GW:160 lbs.  Dream Weight: 140 lbs.

Christy L.
on 7/4/12 8:00 am - TN
I was never diagnosed with PCOS, but my sister was and I had the symptoms except for infertility. I have to deal with hair on my face, and I had a hysterectomy at age 28 b/c of severe pain. 

My mom just picked up a bottle of Nioxin for me but I haven't used it yet.  I have used it in the past and it does work well.  I'm also planning on starting back full force on my Biotin starting today. Thanks for the reminders!  Both of those work very well. 

My problem area is in the front center of my forehead.  I part my hair on the side (my comb-over ) so that it doesn't show, but it's getting so bad I can see more scalp than hair!  

Let me know how the Spironolactone works.  This hair thing is the pits, especially when you are losing it BEFORE surgery.  That makes any hair loss after surgery 10 times worse since you don't have much to lose!

Glambastard
on 7/4/12 2:47 am
RNY on 05/11/12
I was also going to suggest using Nioxin Shampoo and Conditioner. I have very thick hair so I've never used the product, but I know many stylists recommend it. I haven't experienced any extra hair loss yet, but if I do, my plan is to cut my hair into a short pixie, use Nioxin, and probably get a wig or two. 

Christy L.
on 7/4/12 8:01 am - TN
Thanks!  Nioxin is a good product!

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 7/4/12 2:47 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 The Hair That Wasn't There

A few years ago my hair got thin enough to show significant scalp on top. I found some $12.00 brush on scalp powder at a beauty supply store and it covered very well.

Then my hair got even thinner and I bought a wig. It's a gorgeous head of hair, but people looked at me funny. I discovered I can read minds! They were thinking, "Is that a...yeah, that's a freakin' wig!"

I used minoxidil (generic Rogain) and it thickened up a little bit, enough for a comb-over. 

Now, 12 weeks post-op, it's thinning more. Dang it!!!!!  I don't want to wear a wig in the summer, even if I coud find an undetectable one. I found some cute hats, which will be cooler than wigs. I wear those outside the house. Inside, I go commando on top. Nice and cool, esp. with the ceiling fan on.  ;-)

Come winter, I'll look for a lace front wig. I might have to go to a bigger city with more selection. Human hair is going to be too expensive. My only wig wisdom is to either be extremely picky about how real it looks, or else go wild with it. The middle ground is just sad.

Christy L.
on 7/4/12 8:06 am - TN
I had a great aunt that wore a wig as long as I could remember.  It always looked nice until she got older and didn't care anymore - then it was really sad.  Everytime I see Aunt Edie on 'The Middle' I think of her. 

My fear is to be an old lady with my wig on backwards and upside down, ha!!

Leanne43
on 7/4/12 11:49 am - , Canada
RNY on 06/04/12
oh god something to look forward to lol. i'm hoping mines not bad but my sister has alapecia so she  buys human hair but that is so expensive . i'm wondering how long it's going to go on for before it stops.

Dani Dutch
on 7/4/12 4:03 pm - Netherlands
eBay or http://www.aliexpress.com/

but read the reviews and check youtube for reviews from sellers. You don't want to buy a wig then find out it looks like doll hair.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 369 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 347 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 307 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 307 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 347 views