What should I do while Im waiting?

mat0174
on 7/28/12 11:36 am
Hi, while your waiting for your sugery:
1st most important get your house ready, you're gonna be down for a few days, orthoscopic will be an easier recovery than a large incision, I had a 13" incision for mine.
2nd, start getting to know your nutritionist on a personal basis. Decision to have gastric bypass is life long, I'm 9 1/2 years post op, and I still consult a nutritionist regularly, since my surgery, there have been alot of new food products to hit the market, some good, some not as good as the label implies, getting proper nutrition is very important, and I still hear of reversals caused by renal failure from protein deficiencies.
3rd keep getting familiar with the side effects, and the risks. I personally cant have dairy like before, and have had a few complications since surgery, a bleeding ulcer at the bottom of my pouch in 2005 which required emergency room care and 9 transfusions, and a small bowel obstruction last year from 3 muscle adhesions, though that one was more from the incision than the bypass itself.
4th get familiar with your meds, you will need to take them, and there are a few regular medications like ibuprofen that can cause issues.
5th start saving for a new ward robe, but wait to buy anything until after your weightloss has plateaued.
6th if you can do weight lifting, start looking for a personal trainer, strength conditioning will minimize excess skin, I wish they would have told me that when I was at the pre-op phase.
7th try to relax and let it come when it comes, anxiety can cause blood pressure to rise, and if its too high, it could delay surgery.
mzmelody
on 7/28/12 12:07 pm - NC
Wow guys! This is all such great info and advice. Definately enough occupy my 16 day wait til the next step on this journey!! Thank you all so much!!

C. McArthur
on 7/28/12 12:33 pm - Toronto, Canada
I am waiting also. I have my surgery date it's September 24. 58 days to go and I am excited!! I am actually doing some behavioral therapy once a week to help me know my triggers for overeating and i find that is passing the time for me.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 60 replies · 403 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 57 replies · 239 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 508 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 580 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 305 views
Recent Topics