Regrets

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/12 12:56 pm - waukesha, WI
My only regret is that I didn't get the DS.  Otherwise, this for me has been the best decision I have ever made.
SoCaPinkLady
on 7/31/12 12:58 pm - CA
RNY on 06/11/12
Not I said the Duck!!!! No regrets here what so ever!!!

Lori                               

WifeMama
on 7/31/12 3:00 pm
RNY on 06/21/12
Absolutely no regrets here, despite my pre-op nervousness and fears...hands down THE BEST decision!
DebsGiz
on 7/31/12 8:44 pm - FL
I'm coming up on four years post-op RNY, and have not the first regret.  None. 
swampwoman
on 7/31/12 11:59 pm - Hampton, NJ
No regrets here. Very very happy with my decision!! Thank God every day.
  Today is the first day of the rest of my life!!                          
Paul C.
on 8/1/12 12:52 am - Cumming, GA
 In my ever so popular way I would just like to say "Suck it up Buttercup!"

Please don't take that in an offensive way.  I doubt very few people that spend time on this board preop don't worry about possible complications or regrets post-op.  Sometimes the best thing is to just step back for a few days and focus on yourself.  I know for me there was no way I could understand what it would be like in post-op life and well I had no idea it would be the life I now have!

The one thing I learned and continue to learn as we navigate the world with my daughter and her problems is that a positive attitude will take you a long way towards success.  There are days where I just can't seem to have the positive attitude and these are the days I do my worst both exercise and diet wise, but when I have the positive attitude there isn't anything that can stop me.

Find what in life makes you strong and focus on it.  This will be what you remember and think about on the days you want to give up.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Consuela N.
on 8/1/12 1:36 am - OH
I had my surgery on March 29, 2012. I was a nervous wreck and I had many complications that I had to stay in the hospital an extra 2 days. Still although I had all of that going on, I can honestly say that this was the best decision that I ever made. I will never regret my decision.

Connie

KELLY R.
on 8/1/12 5:00 am - PA
RNY on 04/04/12

I shared your fears before my surgery back on April 4th.  It took me 6 years to finally "take the plunge" and I've been obese my whole life.  Then one day I read a reply on here that made me really see things differently.  We always do things in life, like get married and have a baby without ever thinking of what could go wrong and this kind of has to be done the same way.  This experience is different for everyone.  Just like no two births are the same, neither is this surgery from one person to the next. 

You just need to do some soul searching, make sure you're doing it for you (whatever reasons they may be), and that you have a reputable surgeon.  My reasons were diabetes, pcos, back pain, asthma, sleep apnea, and the list goes on.

My initial surgery was great, no problems and very little pain, but about 6 days after surgery I developed a leak and was scared to death, the first 3 months post op for me were hell.  I was NPO (nothing by mouth) most of the time, not even allowed to drink fluids, nauseaous all the time, could never get comfortable, had drains and a g-tube and was in the hospital twice after my initial surgery. 

Once my tests showed the leak had closed I was able to start from scratch, fluids, pureed, blended, etc.  Now at month 4, I'm down 65 lbs and feel great. I'm able to eat regular foods and have even started doing Zumba with my sister each week.

Can't promise the beginning will be all roses and candy, but you will get through it, because it will get better.

Best of luck to you.

Peace & Blessings... Kelly                                             

HW 292 / CW 191 / GW 130

ShebasMom
on 8/1/12 1:05 pm
Revision on 07/05/16
I needed to lose weight due to all my co-morbidities. I had dieted over a dozen times in the past 25 years and was unsuccessful. I originally wanted the sleeve, but due to my severe GERD, rny was the only wls that would improve it. I do miss taking NSAIDS for pain. I'm also disappointed that the malabsorption lasts 18-24 months. My weight loss journey has been slower than average, but I'm happy I'm losing. This is a major lifestyle change. The volume of food is so much less, making sure you get in the protein and fluids you need and taking vitamin supplements for the rest of your life. To answer your question, no I don't regret having this surgery. I no longer take BP or cholesterol meds, my GERD has improved some, I don't have swollen legs/feet, I'm not short of breath when I walk, I have more energy, I fit in a booth, I don't feel stuffed/miserable after I eat...etc

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

Most Active
Recent Topics