Calcium

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/20/12 4:36 pm - OH
TUMS are not calcium citrate.  They are calcium carbonate and will not be absorbed properly. By your new digestive system.  Please do not wait a "few months" to start taking a calcium citrate product!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Lady Lithia
on 8/20/12 5:25 pm
In addition to what Lora said, Tums are actually WORSE than taking nothing at all, because you can get kidney stones if you are on a high-protein high-calcium-carbonate diet.

Tums are fine for heartburn, but NOT as a calcium supplement.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

65rosesmom
on 8/20/12 5:27 pm
 Why in the world would my nutritionist tell me this?  UGH UGH UGH!  So frustrating.   

I will go buy the right stuff tomorrow, but it really sucks to surround yourself with what you think are knowledgeable professionals and having to second guess them.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/20/12 4:43 pm - OH
I use a combination of things:
- Upcal D calcium citrate powder than is tasteless and can be mixed in any drink or in soft foods like yogurt or pudding
- Calcet Creamy Bites lemon or chocolate squares (there are like little calcium citrate petit fours and are a really nice treat!)
- Bariatric Advantage raspberry or caramel chews (less expensive but not quite as tasty as the creamy bites)
- whatever calcium citrat + Vit D pills or capsules are on sale

Note that the Creamy bites and BA chews do have a certain number of calories, so if you use them for all 3 or 4 doses (as Kelly said, you need at least 3 doses per day...  we need 1500-2000mg per day and can only absorb 500 mg at a time), that can add up (along with the expense).  That's why many people use one of the chewables for only one or two doses per day.

There are also some chewable lozenge types of calcium, but many people don't like them because they are chalky and not very pleasant to chew.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics