Carbonation Question - SodaStream

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/12/13 12:13 pm - OH

I started having diet soda very occasionally once i was 6 months out (that was my surgeon's suggestion on how long to avoid it IF we couldn't/wouldn't give it up altogether).  At first I had to pour it over ice and let it sit a while to let some of the carbonation subside.  Now (almost 6 years out), I have one diet soda more days than not.  I still pour it over ice (but more because I like it cold than because of the carbonation).  I have tried straight out of the can/bottle, but that makes me burp like crazy.  The only time I had a problem with gas was when I had several of them in one day (after a special event).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

aesposito
on 6/12/13 12:58 pm

I drink a diet pop or two a day (I work two jobs and don't drink coffee, so my caffeine source is Diet Mountain Dew, LOL).  I have to shake it a bit to let out some fizz, or it causes me some discomfort... otherwise I am good to go.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

jrjohnsonrn
on 6/12/13 7:43 pm - IA

It is my understanding that smoking, alcohol, soda and NSAIDs can all cause ulcers and the anastamosis sites, which is why they are all discouraged. 

poet_kelly
on 6/12/13 9:54 pm - OH

Soda does not cause ulcers.  Caffeine can make existing ulcers worse, but it can't cause ulcers.  And not all soda contains caffene.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

beverlyp
on 6/13/13 10:26 pm

I can drink diet soda just fine.  I can drink it right out of the bottle.  I can't drink a whole one or anything cause it fills me up, but I sip from the kids and hubbies drinks all the time, I don't open my own cause its a waste. But it causes me no painful gas.  The only thing I have noticed is that if my tummy is totally empty it will make it make rumbly sounds for a minute or two after a sip.

Most Active