What can you tell me about Trazodone please???

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/13 11:21 am - WA
RNY on 08/21/12

I've been taking 150 mg for a few years now and it really does help quiet my brain down so I can get some decent sleep. I haven't noticed any side effects from it at all.

purpleswingline
on 8/12/13 11:36 am - Fayetteville, AR
RNY on 08/26/13

Hi Deb,

I take it every night and have for several years now.  I take 300 mg, I do suffer from depression but it does help me sleep too.  I have been wondering if I can take it after my surgery.  I take two 150 mg ...they are very large pills, so I have been concerned about taking them.  I am planning on asking my doc at my pre-op how I should take them.

I hope they work real well for you!

Katie K.
on 8/13/13 5:59 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
I take the same dose. They gave it to me in the hospital, cut in half, so there were four things to swallow. I've been taking them whole since about three weeks out. I've been taking both at the same time for a week with no problems.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/12/13 12:03 pm - OH

I was having a lot of trouble with menopause-related insomnia a few months ago.  The Lunesta and even the Restoril were not helping reliably, so my PCP gave me a script for Trazodone.  I second Kelly's suggestion of taking just half a dose the first night.  It really knocked me out, but I desperately needed the sleep by then since I had been sleeping only 3-4 hours a night for well over a week! He told me that he wouldn't keep me on it long term (and with some of the potential side effects, I didn;t want to stay on it any longer than I needed to), but it helped me get through that really bad stretch and now I am back to either the Lunesta or just two of the generic Walmart (or Kroger) brand of the diphenhydramine pills (Tylenol PM without the Tylenol).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

ArwensRose
on 8/12/13 1:26 pm
RNY on 09/06/12

I am not a vet nor am I a doctor this is just my experience ...

I have insomnia from chronic fatigue.  Ironically those of us with CFS issues have horrible sleeping patterns.  And though I am tired all the time, I have a horrible time getting to sleep.  I talked about the issue with my endocrinologist and he prescribed a low dose of Trazadone.  Holy hell it is a wonder pill.  I take it and less than 30 minutes later I am falling asleep.  I am able to sleep almost an entire night without waking, when without it I wake up several times throughout a night.  It has improved my life tremendously!

seattledeb
on 8/12/13 2:31 pm

Don't jump out of bed in the middle of the night if you need to get up. It,like many sleep meds can make you dizzy if you get up too fast.

I hope you sleep all night!

Deb

Katie K.
on 8/12/13 7:15 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
I've taken trazodone for years because one of my meds causes insomnia. I think the effective dose as an antidepressant is over 1,000. I'm currently taking 300mg. I don't have any trouble waking up in the morning and don't get dizzy if I have to get up in the night to go to the bathroom.

brenda_m
on 8/13/13 3:54 am - Renick, WV

Ive been on trazodone for a few years now. 300 mg so I can sleep. And I still have problems sometimes sleeping. I also take anti-depressants and mood stabilizers. Not crazy, lol, just chemical imbalances. Ive had no side effects. It definitely will help you sleep. Before taking it, I would get so tired and as soon as my head hit the pillow, my mind was off in 40 different directions. The trazodone helped put me to sleep. Like I said, sometimes I still have problems sleeping but my doc said a higher dose would be worthless. I think I take the highest dose they will give anyone. I also sleep with a bi-pap machine. Try it, alot of docs treat different things with different meds. You may not have depression, but you will get some sleep. Good luck!!

DebsGiz
on 8/13/13 11:25 am - FL

Thanking everyone for your responses as, again, they really are tremendously appreciated.

Kelly and Lora, I did as you suggested and took just half of one last night and barely remember my head hitting the pillow.  I was out like a light.

I vaguely remember waking up a few times during the night, but instantly rolled over and went right back to sleep.  It was absolutely glorious.  I actually got about 8 hours sleep!!

I was a little groggy when I woke up, but I don't think it was any worse than what one might experience after awakening from a good sleep.

Anyhow, I may have finally hit upon something that will allow me to actually sleep.  Yippeeee!!!!    I'm soooo doing the happy dance!!    

Most Active
Recent Topics