STRESSED- work night shift & worried about gastric bypass

Grim_Traveller
on 2/1/14 12:00 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I worked third shift for 25 years. The problem is, you are not just on an opposite schedule from the rest of the world. Everyone assumes you are available during the day, when you should be sleeping. Because you are "free" during the day, you end up doing all the family errands, shopping, etc. Some things can only be done during the day, doctors, mechanics, haircuts, etc. If you have children, you have things to do with and for them, because you are available while others are at work. Then, on weekends, you flop your schedule so you are awake during the day and sleep at night.

It is far different than just being on an opposite schedule. It's a lot more complex, and leads to very bad eating habits.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

illinois Gama D.
on 2/1/14 4:15 am

Perfect response, Then you feel sleep deprived, it is a whole different life  than working over 40 daylight hours, WAY different,

Is this doable for the OP, i am sure it is, but i do think it is a harder way to  go doing this on the  hours she works, thanks for a great reply :)

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

poet_kelly
on 2/1/14 11:19 pm - OH

Yeah, doctors and haircuts and stuff can only be done during the day, but that creates scheduling issues for people that work Monday thru Friday day shifts, too.  People may assume if you work nights you're available in the day time but that's an issue of needing to set boundaries and plan things in advance.  I understand that working nights is difficult for some people.  I've worked nights and I didn't find it so difficult.  I didn't have great eating habits then, but I don't think they were any worse than they were when I worked days.  I had pretty poor eating habits pre op when I worked days, too.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

birdiegirl
on 1/31/14 6:54 pm

I think if you spoke to everyone on OH...they would have some type of stressor to deal with....whether its a problematic schedule ....small children.....unsupportive spouse or family.....high stress job....and so on....you get the picture

You have to want this more then anything.....things will come up in your life...now and years in to your new post WLS life...that will throw you for a loop....and you have to find ways to deal with it......

Dont put unnecessary roadbloocks in your way....its just a schedule.....you can figure out what will work to ensure compliance......

I think its important that we keep control of our emotions while we go thru pre-op and the first few years post op......you have capitalized the word "stressed"....so to me that sounds like this is quite emotional for you.....it will be important as you progress on your journey that you try to keep calm thru the ups and downs of life.....emotional turmoil and our attempts to deal with it got many of us into a super morbidly obese body.....

Take a breath.....figure out what is going to work for you......and commit.......

Good luck

BWB
on 2/1/14 3:00 am

I understand your problem and I would probably put off the surgery until the kids got older or I could change jobs to a regular day job.  Do you have a neice or teenager in the neighborhood that can watch the kids for a few hours so you can get your rest?  As your body readjusts to the surgery you will be tired and need to focus on yourself.  

docksandaltars
on 2/1/14 6:07 am
RNY on 01/28/14 with

I'm sorry you are stressed and hope you can gain some peace of mind.  I'm also very happy to see you question.  I just had surgery 4 days ago and am home recuperating.  Your question makes clear for me that I am going to have to come up with a schedule and learn to take a little more control of mylife.  Too often, I put myself last but as it is when the oxygen masks drop on the plane , I'll have to put my own on first so I can make sure the others get theirs. I'm with you, still would like to hear from some vets who are doing it.  Not really interested in those who don't understand why it's a big deal.  Hang in there.

TattooMammaRN
on 2/1/14 7:30 pm

For those that don't work nights it is hard to understand how it would be different.  It is a challenge!!  I also work nights.  I am still struggling.  For one thing if you are an RN you are probably running your butt off everynight and eating on the run.  I try to eat every two hours and take my vitamins at the same time.  Your body is just not programed to eat during the night.  For my fluid, protein and vitamins I count my days as 24 hours.  Like from 5PM to 5PM.  So as long as I get everything in in that 24 hours I feel like I have had a successful day/night. 

poet_kelly
on 2/1/14 11:16 pm - OH

I've worked nights before.  I imagine an RN runs their butt off and eats on the run whether they work nights or days.  Or is the work really a lot easier on the day shift?  Do you really get more breaks and stuff if you work days?  I used to be a CNA and I actually ran my butt off more on the day shift when I had to feed patients two meals and stuff.  Most of the patients were in bed when I worked the night shift.  I still had plenty to do but was more likely to get a break on nights.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Daisylvr04
on 2/7/14 12:07 pm - ME
VSG on 05/22/12

I am also a nurse that works 3 12 hour shifts.  It may be challenging at first but I promise it will get easier with time!  I continue to take my supplements during the day even if I am working that night.  I find that I wake at some point to use the restroom, get a drink etc. so I take them then.  As for eating...I eat my meals at night on the nights I work just as I would if I was working days.  When I get out of my last shift I usuall stay up all day in order to flip my sleep routine.  When I do this I usually add in a few more meals during the day time hours I am up.  At the end of my week everything I have taken in for nutrition evens out.  You will be able to find a routine that works for youso dot stress over it.  I am an open book if you have any questions.  Good luck!  

HW: 326.2   CW:289.8   Surgery set for 5-22-12!  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 322 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 148 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 110 views
Recent Topics