Out of Control

poet_kelly
on 2/17/14 1:08 am - OH

Are you planning to never eat chocolate candy or potato chips again?

Those aren't things I eat often.  Although I just finished a chocolate protein bar that kinda tasted like a candy bar.  I'm trying to remember the last time I had potato chips.  It would have been several months ago.  But I eat them occasionally.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

sBob
on 2/17/14 3:43 am

I think as others have said, this is a natural reaction to an impending surgery. I did not have a pre-op diet, but chose to follow The Doctor's diet, 3 weeks before surgery. It consisted of good solid protein and either 2 cups salad or vege soup. I ate oatmeal and berries with milk for breakfast, cut down on any other type of processed carbs and it felt great. When sugar was reduced, so were cravings. I walked 2 km or more each day before surgery. Lowered caffeine, because I can't have any caffeine for 2 mths post surgery.

I think it made all the difference, am two weeks post op today, and am on a liquid diet. No cravings. And everything is going great.

Remember that you are stronger than you give yourself credit for. You make the choices and are in control of everything you do. Good luck. You already have the awareness of wanting to improve and that in itself is the biggest battle of all!  :)

Louise1974
on 2/17/14 9:31 am

I did it too.  I remember completely freaking out thinking I wouldn't get to eat Indian food again and totally overdoing it.  This was totally ridiculous because Indian food was one of the first foods I ate post op, some dishes fit perfectly in my plan.  Kelly is totally right, you will get to eat these foods again, it will just be a little different.  Hang in there.  You are very smart to realize that the surgery isn't going to do it all for me.  But listen, if you could do this without surgery you probably would have.  Surgery doesn't do it all but it really helps.  So if you blow it pre-op let that just be more evidence that surgery is the right choice, that you need more tools because what you have isn't enough. 

bdaycakegirl
on 2/17/14 1:12 pm

Oh GOSH I need Indian!!!

hw: 311  cw:304  sw:???  gw:150

lekoleko
on 2/18/14 12:21 am

Love indian, ur funny. I did the same too, thought i couldnt live without popeyes chicken but its kinda true outta sight outta mind. I need to use that with other junk i eat. But totally relate to ur situation. The thought of the new eating postop seemed so suffocating.  I constantly  asked my frriend who was postop, will i ever enjoy food again, and she said yes. Just in small portions. And now i am 15mos postop rny started at 330 now at 209 im 5-8 still not at goal, but i wont give up trying. Also ur tastebuds may change. Ive probably had popeyes twice since surg. And dont crave it. And had just a drummette. U will do great. Baby steps. See u on the losers bench!!! 

lekoleko
on 2/18/14 12:10 am

Love indian dishes may i ask which dishes do u eat? Was even lookin into crockpot recipes.

Louise1974
on 2/18/14 1:52 am

Oh no!  I hope I haven't caused any cravings!  Remember, cravings are not an emergency!!

Very soon post op I was getting these Indian marinades/sauces, you can get them at most any grocery store.  I would marinate extra firm tofu for a little while and then saute in a non stick skillet.  Very yummy.  You can also put some chicken in a crock pot with some Indian style sauces.  I used extra firm tofu a fair amount immediately post op because it was really easy to eat.   Some of the sauces have a little bit of sugar but you are going to actually eat such a tiny bit that it was okay for me.  I like tikka masala and curry a lot.  Dal is also an excellent post op food.  I waited a while before going to an Indian restaurant because I just wasn't sure how my pouch would handle restaurant food and I could control the ingrediants a little better at home.  but now Indian is one of my go to places post op.  I just skip the rice and naan and fried appetizers.  Sometimes i might have a bite or two but usually I just stick with the meat and beans.  And don't forget the raita!  I make it at home with greek yogurt, great for early post op when you are sick to death of sweet stuff. 

Louise1974
on 2/18/14 2:16 am

Oh!  Need to clarify, Dal is an excellent post op food but in restaurants it can be made with a lot of ghee (clarified butter) and that may or may not feel good in your belly right after surgery.  But there are a million recipes out there and you can play with the amount of fat you put in it.  Instead of eating all these "last meals", start cooking!  And then eat a little and give the rest away.  That is what I do even now.  I love to cook and I cook all the time but I often package it up and give it to someone.  You can't imagine how grateful people are. 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 290 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 281 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views