Funding Concern

Ladytazz
on 6/16/14 2:25 pm

I don't know what kind of disability you are seeking but I wanted WLS for years and didn't have the insurance.  I was able to get SSD and found out that Medicare would pay.  Had that not been the case I still would not have gotten WLS.

I hope you find a solution to your problem.  I guess I have the attitude that it was meant to be for me, even with some problems.  

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Keeshaja
on 6/16/14 2:48 pm
DS on 10/21/14

Something doesn't make sense... .. How can they not give you Medicaid if you have no income?! Did you turn in everything?  

DroppingTheLbs
on 6/16/14 3:44 pm - TX
with

That was my curiosity but I applied at the same time as my food stamps, and they denied me immediately, I was told that until my disability case is won and I have that status I would not qualify. Also my food stamp benefits have been cut off due to the same. Apparently in texas you can only get benefits for x amount of months and then they cut you off, unless you have certain cir****tances like qualifying children, disability etc. In the interim when your time runs out you are just up you know what creek. 

Mary Gee
on 6/16/14 3:23 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

You've added more information -- you never indicated you have a disability claim pending with Social Security.  Responses would probably have been in a different tone if the disability info was originally provided.

I became disabled while working (not job related) - my company had long term disability that covered me while my claim was pending with Social Security.  If I was injured on the job, it would have been a Worker's Comp claim.  In MA, if you are unemployed and disabled, you get "Welfare" benefits if you provide medical documentation and Welfare gets paid back when your SS claim is approved.  Different states have different laws -- do you have an attorney handling your disability claim?  If so, they may be able to direct you to appropriate agencies that can assist you.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

DroppingTheLbs
on 6/16/14 3:47 pm - TX
with

I would like to start off saying if my tone in the response was rude. Its been a very frustrating time and here lately I have been a bit on edge and a bit too defensive. 

I am going to speak with my attorneys some time this week, I have been dealing with a pretty intense ear infection and not been feeling up to the phone.

Laura in Texas
on 6/17/14 11:38 am

In your blog you mentioned being diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I hope in addition to seeking disability you are seeking effective treatment to manage your bipolar disorder. It can be done. Many people on this site are doing just that.

I hope you are fighting the good fight not only for yourself, but for your mom and your fiance. I wish you the best.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

christyhall
on 6/16/14 11:07 pm
RNY on 04/28/14

Medicaid rules differ drastically state by state. I live in Minnesota, and you can get some type of state health insurance that will cover WLS at anywhere from $0 income to nearly $23,000 income for a single person with no children. Some states just flat out will not cover you as a single person with no children.

I don't say this lightly because I know it is a pretty outrageous thing to do, but if your life really depends on it, have you considered moving to a state with more generous policies?

RNY on April 28, 2014 with Laura July at Unity Hospital in Fridley (Twin Cities) Minnesota.

Starting weight in October 2013: 350 lbs. SW: 275 lbs. CW: 242 lbs.

Mary Gee
on 6/17/14 10:42 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I can certainly understand your frustration.  It seems unfair that Medicaid benefits differ from state to state.  I hope your attorneys can help you out.

Good luck.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175