Would you reveal that you had WLS to someone you just started dating? If so how soon?

White Dove
on 9/9/14 10:43 am - Warren, OH

I did that only once and the negative and judgmental reaction ruined a perfectly nice evening for me.  Now I would never discuss it on a casual date.  My rule is the first seven dates with someone are casual.  If I am still seeing them after seven dates, then it is getting serious and time to talk about things like that. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sherrie P.
on 9/9/14 11:08 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I am married - so not dating :-) but when I meet a new friend I don't feel the need to tell them right away - just because I don't want to talk about myself and my WLS all the time. I eat enough that it usually isn't noticeable.  I think as heavy people we ate more than we should have and not finishing a large American meal is more the norm. You can always say you weren't hungry.

Think about it this way... why are you concerned about telling them? Would you tell them that you had recently lost XXX pounds if it were without surgery?

I would like to say that i am VERY open about my surgery if asked. If anyone asks me how I lost the weight I tell them.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Lindsey B.
on 9/11/14 2:29 am - MI
RNY on 11/19/12

I'd like to post my own experience with dating and WLS, but first I'd like to say I'm so sorry to anyone who had a negative reaction about it when they told someone. It can be really damaging to your self-confidence, so please know that reactions like that are a problem with the other person, not with you. You made a decision to change your life, and you don't have to justify it to anyone.

People generally fall into two camps: the tellers and the don't-tellers. I have a relative who is very close to me who has only told a very, very select few people about it, and that's okay. Some people are private. I, on the other hand, tell any and everyone who's interested. I wouldn't say I just tell random strangers in line at the grocery store, but if it is relevant to a situation, I will absolutely bring it up. I don't want to ever seem like I'm hiding it, because I don't want anyone to think I'm ashamed of it. It is an AMAZING tool that changed my life and I thank myself every day for having the nerve to go through with it. I've had THREE people close to me decide to have surgery because of how open and how well I've done with mine, and they're very happy with their decisions.

Now, as far as dating goes, I broke up with a very longtime boyfriend earlier this year, and was frankly terrified of dating. I had only had the one boyfriend, ever, and being thirty, the single prospects in my sphere were slim-to-none. We're talking: job, car, house. Pick two of those, and you're lucky if you find that in a man. So, I decided to try online dating.

I've lost 130 pounds and I'm not going to lie, my body looks like a complete WRECK naked, and I have super flabby arms that I just hate. BUT, I still love me and I'm not ashamed of my body. It is what it is, and I'm doing the best I can with what I've got. There was no way I was going to keep something like that from someone I started dating only to have them turn around and act disgusted the first time he saw me naked. Even if it didn't progress that far before I told them about my WLS, getting attached to someone romantically only to have them look at me in disgust and say "no thanks, see ya never" would be WAY worse than just not hearing from the jerk-face in the first place. I may be a size 8, but I don't have a normal size 8 body.

So, I just put it right there in my profile. I can't remember my exact wording, but it went something like "I had weight loss surgery 18 months ago. I've lost a lot of weight, and I'm still in the process of losing weight. I know it's kind of a personal thing to put in an online profile, but if it's a deal-breaker, I'd rather figure that out now." I put my profile up, got about ten messages, and four of them ended up being actually really nice, sweet guys that I talked to for a few days. I took my profile down after about six hours because I didn't want to be rude OR be stuck talking to a crapton of different guys at once. One was an awful doctor who tried to sleep with me literally ON our first date, but oh well, I just chalked that up to a learning experience. I didn't get any negativity about WLS from anyone, and only a couple even brought it up, and they were very nice about it, just asking me questions about the surgery in general.

Annnnnnnnnnnnd, a little over two months later, I am now (incredibly, amazingly, wonderfully) happy dating one of the guys who first messaged me. I knew within a couple days that this guy was THE ONE, and told the other guys I had been chatting with sorry, but I met someone. He is amazing, he makes me feel amazing, he loves my body, and he tells me I'm beautiful and sexy and compliments me every day (not just on my body, he likes my personality, too).

Sorry for the wall of text, I just wanted to share my story. :)

poet_kelly
on 9/11/14 11:34 am - OH

I have date tomorrow.  It's a first date.  I met the guy online.  We've been chatting for a while.  I'm pretty sure I haven't mentioned my WLS yet; I don't think it's come up.  I'll mention it whenever it seems relevant.

We are meeting at the dog park with my dog.  There will be no food involved.  If we keep seeing each other, I'm sure at some point we'll eat together, in which case it might or might not be apparent I eat differently then other people.  Depends on where/what we eat, I guess.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 343 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 180 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 268 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?