Failed, Terrified and Bewildered

LynnAlex
on 8/10/15 5:58 am
RNY on 08/04/15

The funny thing is I was reading my bariatric notebook, and noticed that I am allowed melba toast on day 7.  So, I thought it would be several months out, but I jumped the gun, 3 (important) days.  My NUT wants us to eat between 700-900 calories per day at 1 week out.  I would much rather follow everyone's advice on the board here about food and protein, then her advise.  In a class last month, it was all about the 30 grams of fiber we need.  Hey, we are bariatric patients, not regular people.  I've had to tune her out.

Age 61 5'4" Consult-6/2/15: 238 SW-8/4/15: 210 CW:145 (6/30/18) M1-16#, M2-17#, M3-14#, M4-10#, M5-6#, M6-5#, M7-1#, M8 -3# Range 133-138 DexaScan 4/16/17 19% body fat---- 2016 wt avg 142-146, 2017, wt. avg 132-136, 2018 avg weight 144-146 bounce back is real.

Felicity Q.
on 8/10/15 8:15 am
DS on 09/28/15

30 grams of fiber? Holy cow, I couldn't imagine.  Even my super bean-heavy chili only has 12g of fiber and I couldn't imagine eating more than that in a day. lol

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

lynnc99
on 8/10/15 5:55 pm

Hmmm....30 gm fiber? I'd double check that. 30 gm is a heck of a lot of fiber!

Just shows how varied our programs can be. I didn't have to count anything except ounces of water and protein grams for much of my first year! In fact I've just now (6 years out!) started to count calories! 

catwoman7
on 8/10/15 7:12 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I used to get 30 grams of fiber pretty routinely pre-surgery, but now I'm lucky to get 15!

700-900 kcal/day seems high for one week out, but whatever.....

jazzycatz
on 8/11/15 7:37 am - Joppa, MD

Ok, you have heard enough about what you could have done to yourself. I have to address the issue of you bariatric notebook and it's allowance of melba toast on day 7. Back away from the melba toast!! It amazes me what some programs will recommend or approve. Melba toast, crackers, cream of wheat, potatoes...the mind reels. All these foods are currently useless to you. If nothing else obstain at least for your first 6 months. Or make a commitment that if you are going to eat these things then it is only after you have gotten in all of your protein for the day.

I am 5 years out next month. I lost 164lbs and have maintained a 150lb loss. It has been work. I had to recognize early on that I am a carb addict. If I eat them, I want more. I am firmly convinced that at the reason I can still only get down about 3/4 of slice of bread is because I didn't eat any bread during my first year and I continue to only eat it as last resort and then only whole grain. Certain crackers and things like melba toast are still not welcome in my home. DH has to hide them or take them to work. He wouldn't drink around me if I was an alcoholic so he doesn't eat carbs around a carb addict. (I can stand it if he is eating bread because like I said...I really can't so it's come not to bother me).

Seeing the melba toast on your plan and this talk of 30grams of fiber a day (holy cow! I wouldn't have to take miralax every day if I could get close to that number) I am thinking you may have one of the NUTS that is truly nuts. At least were this surgery is concerned. So take what you can from it but leave the rest with her. Tuning her out was the right thing to do in my humble opinion.

And therapy. Definitely consider therapy. You can do this!

Ethel S.
on 8/10/15 8:39 am

My surgery is in 11 days. I am not an expert as some who have commented are experts in this area. I do know that beating yourself up is not good. Just thank God that you are ok and move forward. It's hard I know, I am struggling with my pre op diet but I know this is part of the plan to get where i need to be. You will be fine. You can do all things through Christ!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 221 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 348 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 230 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 131 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 2 replies · 11 views
Recent Topics