Surgery Month!

Au_Contraire
on 5/1/17 4:43 pm

Optifast is fine, it just takes a few days to get past the wall. You may have headaches and/or fatigue, but that phase passes and it all becomes easier. My experience has been that you catch a tail wind which helps you to remain compliant. I have no experience with surgery but I do have experience with liquid diets! Hang in there, I'm sure you will do beautifully!

IDWTBF
on 5/2/17 8:26 pm
Revision on 05/09/17

Best of luck to you! I'm also revising from Band to Bypass. I had all the fluid taken out in the fall because of so many complications and then started gaining rapidly and I'm hovering at the 40% BMI required by insurance (drives me crazy that they wouldn't pay for RNY unless I basically gained back all the weight I lost with the band but so be it). My surgeon has made me very nervous about weigh in on the day of surgery because if I lose any weight it won't be covered so I'm kind of in the opposite place. Eating all this leftover Easter candy and big bowls of pasta, but meanwhile HATING how I feel and look. I know it sounds crazy but I'd almost prefer to do the pre-op diet and get in the proper mindset ahead of time. It's gonna be quite a shock for my body to go from crappy simple carbs (he literally wants me to eat ice cream all weekend), to zero carbs.

The band gave me nothing but trouble and so I'll do whatever it takes. Don't be nervous you will totally get through the optifast. Think about it as a mental challenge because if you can do that for two weeks with regular hunger and cravings, you will kick butt post-op when the hunger is gone. Good luck!!!