Why am I failing at this

Izzy612
on 4/3/18 11:21 am

Are you adding in a workout routine as well?

i am sorry this is happening to you but don't five it up! Like another poster said, you have lost 100lbs already so you're body has already put in some good work in weight loss. Just give it time

crystalcandoit
on 4/3/18 12:17 pm
RNY on 02/06/18

I am walking about a mile to two miles a day. I just want to succeed.

Starting weight-374 lbs Surgery weight-306 lbs Pre-op- -68 lbs M1- -21 lbs M2- -3 lbs M3- -13 lbs

Writergurl08
on 4/3/18 11:52 am
RNY on 02/15/18

Stalls happen--I'm almost 7 weeks out, and lost 35lbs immediately--but only about 4 lbs in the last 5 weeks. It's frustrating, but I'm having faith that focusing on protein, portions, and trying to drink more water will set me in motion again when my body is ready. It's REALLY hard not to get frustrated though.

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

MarinaGirl
on 4/3/18 11:53 am

How's your fluid intake? Are you consistently drinking MORE than 64 oz of water a day?

Sheila_H
on 4/3/18 11:57 am - Central Coast, CA
RNY on 06/26/17

Crystal,

1) I feel your frustration

2) But take a look at the big picture. You have lost almost 100 lbs!! Give your body a break. Keep up with your plan and you will lose the lbs. But keep looking at how much you have lost. Wow! Be proud of that.

The plan works. Don't lose faith and don't be discouraged.

SW:261 6/26/17 GW:150 10/6/18

CW: High 140s

PGW: 140-142

crystalcandoit
on 4/3/18 12:25 pm
RNY on 02/06/18

I know I should just be happy that I have lost as much as I have. I worked really hard pre-op to lose the weight and continued that attitude into post-op. I have followed the rules and weighed and measured everything, while people around me that had the surgery a while a go, tell me that I am too stringent I can eat more carbs, not exercise etc, but I continue to follow the plan and they lost a lot of weight quickly and here I am struggling to lose weight.

Starting weight-374 lbs Surgery weight-306 lbs Pre-op- -68 lbs M1- -21 lbs M2- -3 lbs M3- -13 lbs

Sheila_H
on 4/3/18 2:08 pm - Central Coast, CA
RNY on 06/26/17

Do NOT listen to those around you. More carbs? Heck no!! It's a slippery slope.

Less exercise? Absolutely not!! You should keep adding exercise not diminishing it.

Don't compare yourself to others. There is this woman who had the surgery about 5 months ago and has lost about 106 lbs. She posts about it all the time (not on this site). I'm 9 months out with 90 lbs loss. If I compared myself to her I would feel a failure, but I'm happy with MY progress bcz this is MY journey.

I also agree with what DC girl said about protein shakes. As I said I'm out 9 months and I still have a shake a day (it's my breakfast). What's so bad about the added protein and liquid? Programs are different, and I was never told to stay away from protein shakes. I actually enjoy them. So take this with a grain of salt.

Most importantly, don't give up and stay the course.

SW:261 6/26/17 GW:150 10/6/18

CW: High 140s

PGW: 140-142

Dcgirl
on 4/3/18 12:35 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Hi Crystal! That would be frustrating, for sure. I feel for you. I didn't have that problem because unlike you, I ate like an asshole up until surgery, so I didn't have pre-op loss. But I have heard that people who lose a lot before surgery may lose a little slower after.

Here is one suggestion. Up your daily fluid intake to 100 oz or more. Water, hot decaf tea, crystal light...whatever you like. Hot or cold. You will feel like all you do is sip (except during meals and for 30 minutes after, of course!). Honestly, when I got over 100 oz of liquids a day, my loss continued. I'm not sure why your NUT wants you off shakes either, to be honest. I think 60 oz of protein should be your minimum. If you add in one shake a day you will be adding 20ish grams of protein and 20ish ounces of fluid, which is a win win. I personally was obsessed with Chike high protein iced coffee from amazon, but go check out Eggface's blog for ideas - get creative - get some shake powder (no more than 10 calories per ounce of protein, so a 20 g protein shake should be under 200 calories) and you can mix them with low carb high protein fair life milk or almond milk or water or ice or sugar-free syrups - get creative! Adding in more fluids and more protein will help you.

You won't fail at this. Keep on plugging along, use your kitchen scale, and the weight will come off!

crystalcandoit
on 4/3/18 12:47 pm
RNY on 02/06/18

I will try that, I am willing to try anything. It was my surgeon that said that he wanted me to stop shakes, he prefers that you eat not drink your calories.

Dcgirl
on 4/3/18 12:53 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I agree with that now that I am 4+ years out...my pouch is bigger and liquids won't fill me up. I can eat enough solid food/dense protein to easily get in 80+ g of protein a day. But at two months out when you are eating 2 oz of fish or 2 oz of cottage cheese, I personally think a shake a day is totally fine. Programs vary widely and I am not a medical professional, just someone who lost half of their body weight and is maintaining - so take it with a grain of salt. Try upping the liquids and add a shake and maybe even stay off the scale for one week.

Speaking of scales, I got a new scale after my RNY. Whether or not you do, make sure it's on a flat surface and change the batteries!

Another thing (only applicable to menstruating women), I lose weight before my period and gain it back the week after. Weird. Bodies are just strange. But if you are eating what you posted, you will lose the weight and feel incredible.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Most Active